German Shepherds Forum banner

Do puppies grow into their coats? (moved to gen puppy)

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  NancyJ 
#1 ·
Our puppy to come is mainly black with a little tan on her face and feet. Do they grow into their coats over time?

#2 · (Edited)
A picture would have helped a lot, upload a pic so people can have a better idea.

i could not give you a good answer, first time GSD owner myself, but i will tell you about my own experience (very limited one) that it does darken up a bit...and sable tend to change their coat and colour but my Tyson who is Blanket back black and tan darken up a bit between 3-4 months. :D:D By 5 months he had shed all his puppy coat and changed to shiny black and tan.

Edit; i think i just made you more confused :D what can i say..it's a gifted talent.

#5 ·
A picture would help (read the rules about size), but a typical black and tan saddle is mostly black when born with areas of tan on the feet, eyebrows, etc.. As they grow the black recedes and more of the tan shows up.

As a puppy, they have a fluffy coat and at about 3-4 months the coarser adult coat starts coming in starting at the base of the tail then down the spine. It spreads from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.