Several concerns - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014, 11:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Several concerns

Hello everyone,

I am new here. First Let me start off with this. My husband and I took in my family dog who is 9 (will be 10 in July). She is a black lab Mut. She has lived with my husband and I for over a year now. She has always been a layed back dog & extremely super sweet & over all a great dog. We decided to get Bella. We got Bella at 8 weeks. Bella is a pure bred German shepherd girl. She is now going on 16 weeks. So here are some concerns and issues. Please help with any advise or suggestions. I need all the help we can get.
Bella seems to really enjoy having bailey (our Mut) as a "sister". She hates when Bailey goes in her crate. She often gives her kisses & can be a real sweetie. However after we let bailey out of her cage (after getting Bella to go outside) Bella will chase bailey out into the living room and bark and snip at her. It seems to be a playful bark but it's hard to tell??? Bailey clearly is annoyed. I don't want Bella to become aggressive toward bailey or any other dogs.Bailey loves playing with Bella...but on baileys terms only.
Another issue I am having with our GSD is every now and again Bella will try snipping and biting at my hands. When I tell her "no" or "stop" she continues and starts barking... Like it's a game??? I just simply hide my hands from her and ignore her when she continues. I don't want this to be some game for her... I know she's a puppy and probably teething... But this needs to stop. My hands look like I have been attacked by a vicious animal.
Thanks for taking the time to read this novel and again... Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Ps: here is our crazy girl.

Several concerns-imageuploadedbypg-free1390452133.979117.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
enh811 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

the biting is normal. They are called land sharks. They grow out of it. I redirected to a toy or a nyla bone.

When we got a puppy the older dogs would snap, growl or nip at him. It was not aggression. They are setting their boundaries. We just monitored it to ensure ot did get to rough.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

trcy has it. I'll add that yes, Bailey will set the terms. That's her perogative as the sr. dog. Be sure to give her a break from the pup. She'll be happier.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you both! That makes me feel a lot better. We have always redirected her biting to a toy or bone. We also try to give Bailey her space as much as possible as well. It just gets frustrating & I feel like I am completely failing at this. This is our first puppy we have raised ourselves. I was just getting worried that Bella would become aggressive or that they would not like each other. I definitely don't want Bella to act like this to other dogs.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

We have our first GSD (from a puppy), and our hands also look like they've Been in a garbage disposal. Just be very consistent with commands, what helped us, what letting her bite (when she was around 6-8 weeks, but when she bit to the point of pain, give her a negative command, and if she did it again, say "that's enough" and put her in a time out for 1min, then repeat this, also redirecting with a toy is crucial, you want her to learn that even when she bites, she shouldn't bite with all her strength.

Thewretched is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

This worked for me, you mileage may vary.

I have a now 11 week male. He hasn't bit me in a couple weeks, maybe a little less. My hands still look like I tried to give a cat a bath....

The biting was getting bad. I was down on the floor with him playing. He loves when I get down on the floor. He was being especially mouthy that day. I told him "no biting" when he bit again, I got up, sat in the chair with my back to him. He did NOT like that at all. After about 4 rounds of this, he hasn't really bit me since. When he does start to bite, I tell him "no biting" and he stops. He will act like his is going to bite by opening his mouth and showing his teeth. I tell him "No biting" and redirect him.

Bailey needs to teach Bella bite inhibition. We pretty much let our two go and do what they do. In our case the older dog is smaller than the pup. It does get serious once in awhile when the pup is high strung and we have to mediate. Typically when the pup is off the walls and attacking the older dog. We start a training session with a high value treat as more of distraction. It gives the older dog some peace, we get in a training session and gets the pup to chill out all at the same time.

While any of these actions may not be perfect it seems to be working for us so far.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

@sp00ks: I really like the idea of getting up and turbo your back. I will try that. I normally just sit on my hands and stop paying attention to her. But maybe if I hide my hands she thinks it's a game?? I will try just leaving her alone completely. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Old 01-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm not saying that is the answer as I am no expert trainer but it seems to have worked for us. I had to make the action very deliberate. If I just turned my back, it didn't work. I had to get off the floor, sit in a chair facing away from him. He went nutz! The world was ending. I think you will know pretty quickly if it is working.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I wanted to add that the barking/nipping your pup does when Bailey comes out of the crate IS play. You might make sure that your pup has sufficient exercise before letting it interact with an older dog. It might take a little of the edge off if the pup is already tired.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

With Riley we out our thumb in his mouth under his tongue on the lower jaw and held it until he tried to get away and said "No bite". That worked really fast with Riley. Our trainer at the time told us to do this.

Kaleb is being IPO trained so we did not want it inhibit his bite to much. We did a lot of redirecting and we were still told teaching him not to bite at home inhibited his bite, but he's doing better now. In IPO and not biting us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.