German Shepherds Forum banner

bleach solution to kill parvo?

6K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  shepherdmom 
#1 ·
Score I found a almost brand new xpen at the thrift shop for $4.00 but I want to make absolutely sure it is safe for my new puppy. So I want to wash it down with a bleach solution. I understand there is a certain mixture necessary to kill parvo. Does anyone happen to know what that is? Or should I just soak in straight bleach?

#2 ·
I've heard different things, I read that a 1:30 solution will do it, it said that the solution needs to soak for a while (at least 10 minutes) before you rinse it.

I found this too:
"Is there a way to kill the virus in the environment?
The stability of the CPV in the environment makes it important to properly disinfect contaminated areas."

"A solution of 1/2 cup of chlorine bleach in one gallon of water (133 ml in 4 liters of water) will disinfect food and water bowls and other contaminated items."
A solution of 1/2 cup of chlorine bleach in one gallon of water (133 ml in 4 liters of water) will disinfect food and water bowls and other contaminated items. It is important that chlorine bleach be used because most disinfectants, even those claiming to be effective against viruses, will not kill the canine parvovirus." I got this from

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/parvovirus-in-dogs/853

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
I've heard different things, I read that a 1:30 solution will do it, it said that the solution needs to soak for a while (at least 10 minutes) before you rinse it.

I found this too:
"Is there a way to kill the virus in the environment?
The stability of the CPV in the environment makes it important to properly disinfect contaminated areas."

"A solution of 1/2 cup of chlorine bleach in one gallon of water (133 ml in 4 liters of water) will disinfect food and water bowls and other contaminated items."
A solution of 1/2 cup of chlorine bleach in one gallon of water (133 ml in 4 liters of water) will disinfect food and water bowls and other contaminated items. It is important that chlorine bleach be used because most disinfectants, even those claiming to be effective against viruses, will not kill the canine parvovirus." I got this from

Canine Parvovirus in Dogs | Parvo Symptoms & Treatment | VCA Animal Hospitals

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thank you for the links! :)

#11 ·
DO NOT USE A HIGHER CONCENTRATION! Use the recommended ratio - check with your vet if you need more verification. The way viruses work is they retreat if they detect a threat - that is, the solution warns them so they go dormant until the solution dries - then they emerge active. When I was dealing with the potential of hanta (sp) virus in mouse droppings, this was explained to me. Spray the object/area with the recommended concentration of chlorine bleach - let it set for at least 5 minutes then clean it up.

#20 ·
One thing about bleach that most people don't know - which changes the efficacy of it - is that it is inactivated by organic matter. So before soaking/spraying something with a bleach solution, you are going to first want to just wash it normally so that if there's any kind of organic debris on it, you get that removed before you clean it with the bleach.

Bleach solutions are fairly effective. My mom has worked in child care forever and one day her classroom was picked for a comparison of viruses/bacteria grown from toys that the kids played with. My mom is religious about cleaning toys and spraying them with bleach solution. Nothing at all grew from her toys! The other toy grew all kinds of wonderful bacteria lol. We still use bleach as a staple at the clinics I work at when dealing with parvo. But you always have to clean the mess completely up, THEN bleach it. A 1:30 solution is what we tend to use and is recommended for killing the virus.

#24 ·
My mom taught me well! :) I went into veterinary medicine rather than deal with kids, but she always cleans those toys in soapy water, then hits them with bleach solution. That tends to be the key with bleach solutions.

I don't blame you for wanting to be cautious either. Parvo runs rampant in my area. :/ I am more afraid of randomly picking it up out and about than when we even have a parvo positive pup at my work.

#26 ·
Just a quick update. Soaked xpen in super hot water mixed with dawn, scrubbed it down good. Rinsed completely. Then took 2 gallons of water mixed with 1 cup bleach and poured over the entire thing. Let sit for a full 10 min. Again rinsed with super hot water. Now sitting in the fresh air and sun to dry. (recommended by someone else). Will then stick in a closet for the next several weeks until the puppy comes home. Puppy does not come home for several more weeks so hopefully by then it will smell like our house and be all ready for the new pup.

#29 ·
I did not know they were out there, I'll keep it in mind. I used to do rescue and Foster for Dog Town Rescue that's where Rocky came from.

But this is job one for me, I "need" to have another White Boxer!

The Boxer mix maybe but my requirements are kind of specific! But thank you for rescuing! :)

And a Shepard/Akita mix? Hope they are very careful in placing those!

#30 ·
Oh wow what a pretty dog. I hope you can find one. :)

Dogtown is awesome. I've visited out there once.

Well best guess is Shepherd/Akita always hard to say with rescue. Mama is full Shepherd and boyfriend looks to be a an Akita mix. They came in as strays together about a week before she had the puppies.

Safe Haven is really careful on all their placements. Before I adopted my first girl from there I had to go through all the checks. They know I have both Shepherd and Akita experience and no small kids at home. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.