German Shepherds Forum banner

Rough Playing?

686 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SuperG 
#1 ·
My pup is just over 4 months and we have another dog and when they play in the yard they tackle one another and run and jump. Is this ok for his hips/ shoulders? If not is it ok maybe for a short period of time so that he can get a little extra exercise/ socialization? I want him to grow and develop properly and I know his body is still developing. Just trying to find out what is commonly acceptable.

#2 ·
Your pup is lucky to have a playmate and that is how dogs play. But at the same time, the pup gets tired out and is still growing, so yes, I would allow it for short periods of time.

#3 ·
I'm a "helicopter mom"....with an XY chromosone.....

I try to keep it within tolerance so at an earlier age they do not tear too much "stuff" up. My current GSD has quite a high tolerance to pain, so I need to be even more vigilant of the stresses of potential harm to the growing dog's physical well being. IMHO...GSDs drive at a young age outweigh their overall best physical interests (at times).....hmmmmmmm, sounds like young humans.

I think you are fine as long as you have noted the concern.

SuperG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.