German Shepherds Forum banner

White stripe creating doubt! Pic inside!

11K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  bigguy 
#1 ·
Hey everyone .... Just got her 2 days ago and for the life of me I can't seem to find a picture anywhere with another gsd pup with similar markings .... Web searches say not to be concerned and I'm also wondering if anyone has a any photos of their pup with similar white spots and how they ended up looking as the dog matured. I bought this pup from a pet store who sold it to me as a pure bred gsd... They provided the breeder info but until I speak with them I'm feeling doubtful after extensive online searching... Thanks for the input it's greatly appreciated

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Probably not a purebred, but an adorable pup none the less. I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear, but the good new is that you'll still
have years of loyal companionship regardless of whether or not it's pure bred or not. Congratulations on your cute pup!

#8 ·
I think she looks very collie-ish to me. Not a PB GSD.

#12 ·
I actually would have guessed some sort of Nordic (husky or malamute) cross. That white star, light eyebrows, and white muzzle really remind me of the teddy bear mask in huskies. Either way, super cute. Hope you two have some great adventures together!

#15 ·
I am not going to beat you up about buying from a pet store, I think you have learned your lesson?

What I would suggest is either returning the puppy for a refund ( have no idea if they do this or not) or refund of a portion of the purchase price since what they sold you isn't a pb GSD.

#18 · (Edited)
Definitely not PB, but very unique. I think she might end up being the best dog you might ever have. She is a cutie. Like everyone said though; stay far away from pet stores to buy pets. Have fun with her and learn for the future purchase for your next dog; hopefully a long, long time from now. I would like to see her as she grows older. I bet she is going to be beautiful!

#22 ·
I also though of an Australian Shepherd when I saw the photos.
Of course there is a chance that she is a purebred. It's impossible to tell, unless you have information about the parents.
Very pretty pup though!

#23 · (Edited)
Photos below are of Harry at about 9 weeks and 2 1/2 years old.

As a puppy he had quite a bit of white on his chest and his rear toes, as you can see by the photo of him now, the white is still there a little bit but has blended in.

Your pups colour will change also.

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
Talked to breeder.. Great news!

We just got off the phone with the breeder and she is pure bred .. The mom doesn't have the extensive background but the dad has a lengthy pedigree..

R-Augustus Gieske <----grandfather..photo of him below

The mother is black and silver and the grandfather even has some silver on the rear.. Neat stuff I really appreciate everyone's input...I guess the white on the face is just a unique marking.

Attachments

#27 ·
I have seen this multiple times. White is a masking gene. How ever if there is white anywhere in the family, you have a chance of white any where masking the pups try color. It doesn't make the puppy any less of a dog, or a pure bred German Shepherd. I have seen them loss the stripe. I have seen them keep them.
Someone folks have always been under the false information that white shepherds weaken the breed. They say that while 25% of their German Shepherds DNA is white. It honestly makes no sense. Hitler said cull the white shepherds because he didn't like them. And well it stuck and it is a shame. Remember folks a white German Shepherd is the father of the breed. Max von Stephanitz, the founder of this breed, once said, “No good dog can be a bad color.”

#31 ·
Interesting that the OP came here to ask a question, found a probably wrong answer from the breeder, and then never returned to a GSD site after thinking she had a GSD. I know that is common, it would be nice to get a 4 year old updated picture to see how the mixed breed ended up looking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.