Safe for a puppy to carry weight? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Safe for a puppy to carry weight?

Hey guys!

Anna is 4.5 months old now and about 42lbs. I'm a huge huge hiker and it is my hope that one day Anna will be able to happily go just as far as I can. I have slowly built her up to 6 miles, always careful not to push her, though it seems like she is never tired.

During my work week I will walk her for 40 minutes while doing, light obedience. I will also play fetch for what seems like hours **never ending fetch**

She has a back pack that I put 2 filled bottles of water in (one on each side to even out the weight) just looking for a way to tire her out. My question is- I know she is still growing, is this safe? She doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all

Safe for a puppy to carry weight?-imageuploadedbypg-free1389824855.928436.jpg
Her back pack

Safe for a puppy to carry weight?-imageuploadedbypg-free1389824880.265310.jpg

Safe for a puppy to carry weight?-imageuploadedbypg-free1389824915.524415.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I was told no backpack till 2 years. No pressure on soft joints and to keep puppy lean. And wow 6 miles is allot (to me). Play at will is all we do even now at 1 year. But someone might have a better opinion.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Everything I've read says 2 years. I've read a lot. We also like to hike.
RiverDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes I don't want to damage her! She is working line though (not sure if that makes a difference) she NEVER STOPS, she won't settle in the house unless she is crated, then she will sleep but when she's out she is ready to GO, so 6 miles isn't to much to her I don't think, it's about a 3 hour hike for us. I can hold off on the pack though I don't want to hurt her

Old 01-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

You do realize that the more exercise you give her, the more she will require? It sounds like she already has issues with settling (mine does too at 9 months old). It might be good to work on that. I personally wouldn't do 6 miles, but others may have a differing opinion.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

What the breeder told us is that it is very hard to raise a working dog because how much energy they have. And the reason it is hard is because owners try to over do it by making them work to burn that energy, but their body is too young for it. So damaging a dog with high drive is very easy. You have to let her pace around and play at will for her own good. This is just what I have learned from so much research, dog club and breeders.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Cute puppy....! I can't give advice...ours also have never ending energy...we taught the place command so they would chill when we wanted, and we have many indoor puzzles to wear them out mentally. The puzzles take about 30-40 mins....and they crash hard...we do them every night before we go to bed, so they will be just as exhausted. I don't know how to post a video or you could see then solve it, after they figure it out....they win the treats hidden inside and then they are tired. We also play hide and seek, and tracking food in the house to wear them out. Seems like we could run ours all day and they would still want to run....but mental work takes it out of them....:-) That has been our experience.

mcdanfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanfam View Post
Cute puppy....! I can't give advice...ours also have never ending energy...we taught the place command so they would chill when we wanted, and we have many indoor puzzles to wear them out mentally. The puzzles take about 30-40 mins....and they crash hard...we do them every night before we go to bed, so they will be just as exhausted. I don't know how to post a video or you could see then solve it, after they figure it out....they win the treats hidden inside and then they are tired. We also play hide and seek, and tracking food in the house to wear them out. Seems like we could run ours all day and they would still want to run....but mental work takes it out of them....:-) That has been our experience.

Do you have a YouTube account? If you post it on YouTube you can post the link here.

I do bite work with her once a week, obedience at home about 3 times a day (short periods) just started private lessons with arrowwood shepherds (once a week) along with tracking on Saturdays - I hide items in random places in different rooms of the house, she will retrieve them and we fetch forever.

To much?

Old 01-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't want to create a monster, but I also don't want a bored puppy

Old 01-15-2014, 07:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I don't....but sure my girls can handle that...:-) They are the ones that found this app, and setup the account....:-) I will ask them in a few mins and see what I can do :-)

Sounds like you are doing pretty much what we are....just with toys instead if treats. The puzzles have pieces that have to be removed, after the remove the outside pieces they have to use their nose or paws to slide the pieces that cover the food. They are a pain sot store....we just stack them in the garage on the shelf, they don't fit in baskets easily....odd shapes. But so worth it, especially on rainy days! We bring all the puzzles out at one point or another...the only thing that saves us when trapped in the house.

mcdanfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.