German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Prepare now or wait. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/396121-prepare-now-wait.html)

Airman1stclass 01-14-2014 07:06 PM

Prepare now or wait.

So my wife and I were at the exchange (Military Walmart) today. We decided to go look in the pet isle. I saw this really nice looking chew toy and asked my wife if I could get it. She said no, we don't even have a dog. I said but we are getting one. We should start getting ready now. So that we won't have to purchase all these puppy things at once. Keep in mind it was only a $10 chew toy. Well anyway we didn't get it. My question is, when should you start prepping your house with crates and play pens and everything else for your puppy when you don't have a puppy yet but you are sure you will be getting one. (Just don't know how soon)

Thewretched 01-14-2014 07:08 PM

I started getting things (everything but food) as soon as I knew i was getting one, it's non perishable, and if you're sure you'll get a puppy, no harm on purchasing the basics

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

erfunhouse 01-14-2014 07:08 PM

Buy a lot second Hand (crates and gates)... I've lived on a military pay, and it sucks lol. She may be more willing to buy ahead if it's cheaper

JakodaCD OA 01-14-2014 07:10 PM

I don't see any reason to not start stocking up on 'stuff' now:)

You never know when you can find a good deal on crates/leashes/collars/toys..

I've had dogs 'forever', so I am already stocked with anything and everything I need for a new puppy.

If you know for sure your getting a puppy at some point, like I said, no reason to pass up a bargain, especially when it comes to crates/bowls etc, now:)

I'd go back and buy that toy if you want it:)

Airman1stclass 01-14-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA (Post 4834105)

I've had dogs 'forever', so I am already stocked with anything and everything I need for a new puppy.

If you know for sure your getting a puppy at some point, like I said, no reason to pass up a bargain, especially when it comes to crates/bowls etc, now:)

I should take your advice and go get that toy. But unfortunately, I'd probably get a beating. Lol. And possibly locked out the house.

Airman1stclass 01-14-2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erfunhouse (Post 4834089)
Buy a lot second Hand (crates and gates)... I've lived on a military pay, and it sucks lol. She may be more willing to buy ahead if it's cheaper

Know of any good websites that sell GOOD second hand dog stuff?

Airman1stclass 01-14-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA (Post 4834105)

Hey Jacoda, if that's your dog in your profile pic, can you let me know the breeder you got him/her from. Beautiful dog. I'm planning on getting a black sable myself.

erfunhouse 01-14-2014 07:30 PM

Facebook and craigslist!!!!

onyx'girl 01-14-2014 07:32 PM

I wouldn't get toys at walmart. Be careful what you give for treats or chews. Anything made in China is sketchy, IMO and not many toys from Walmart or other big box type stores have quality toys that will stand up to the GSD's.
You can usually get a good deal on crates(and resell them) on craigslist....just make sure you thoroughly disinfect.

Airman1stclass 01-14-2014 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airman1stclass (Post 4834169)
Hey Jacoda, if that's your dog in your profile pic, can you let me know the breeder you got him/her from. Beautiful dog. I'm planning on getting a black sable myself.

Hey sorry about the misspelling of your name Jakoda. But I'm in NJ. Not too far from CT. I have a co-worker who goes there every weekend. He sais the drive isn't bad at all.