German Shepherds Forum banner

Prepare now or wait.

1K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  mcdanfam 
#1 ·
So my wife and I were at the exchange (Military Walmart) today. We decided to go look in the pet isle. I saw this really nice looking chew toy and asked my wife if I could get it. She said no, we don't even have a dog. I said but we are getting one. We should start getting ready now. So that we won't have to purchase all these puppy things at once. Keep in mind it was only a $10 chew toy. Well anyway we didn't get it. My question is, when should you start prepping your house with crates and play pens and everything else for your puppy when you don't have a puppy yet but you are sure you will be getting one. (Just don't know how soon)

#4 ·
I don't see any reason to not start stocking up on 'stuff' now:)

You never know when you can find a good deal on crates/leashes/collars/toys..

I've had dogs 'forever', so I am already stocked with anything and everything I need for a new puppy.

If you know for sure your getting a puppy at some point, like I said, no reason to pass up a bargain, especially when it comes to crates/bowls etc, now:)

I'd go back and buy that toy if you want it:)

#5 ·
I don't see any reason to not start stocking up on 'stuff' now:)

You never know when you can find a good deal on crates/leashes/collars/toys..

I've had dogs 'forever', so I am already stocked with anything and everything I need for a new puppy.

If you know for sure your getting a puppy at some point, like I said, no reason to pass up a bargain, especially when it comes to crates/bowls etc, now:)

I'd go back and buy that toy if you want it:)
I should take your advice and go get that toy. But unfortunately, I'd probably get a beating. Lol. And possibly locked out the house.

#9 ·
I wouldn't get toys at walmart. Be careful what you give for treats or chews. Anything made in China is sketchy, IMO and not many toys from Walmart or other big box type stores have quality toys that will stand up to the GSD's.
You can usually get a good deal on crates(and resell them) on craigslist....just make sure you thoroughly disinfect.

#11 ·
I was a total dork and bought dog supplies months before the litter was born. I bought a huge dog bed on sale a year before getting a dog. :p

#14 ·
I'm getting my pup in 2.5 weeks but that hasn't stopped me from reserving things online and adding them to my shopping cart for the past month. Just started having everything shipped and its come in this week :) chewy.com, drsfosterandsmith.com, amazon.com, allk-9.com , great prices on each site depending on what you're looking to get

#15 ·
We started buying stuff a few weeks before we got our pups.

Things that will stand up to a German shepherd jaws....
Chuck it - rubber balls orange and blue

Oneworldfutbol -online only

Varsity ball - online only

Jolly balls -horse balls sold at tractor supply.

After the pups hit 4 months old...nothing lasted more than a few mins....this list of things last for a few months....the varsity ball has lasted the longest but you cant throw it. It is hard and they push it around. Our dogs bark and snarl at it. It says it works the herding instinct. They love it....I have a pic of the oneworldfutbol you can see millions of teeth holes in it....but they are still loving it!
You may want to consider heavy duty toys you don't have to replace as often. If we get the pups a soccer ball or stuff toys....(special occasion) we do it knowing it will be dead within mins of being throw to the furbabys.

But definitely stock up before hand, avoid that cost all at one time.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#16 ·
Prices for good quality dog

Been noticing good quality dogs all cost $1000+. Not a problem, but I've also been seeing a lot of AKC registered dogs for sale at only $300? So does AKC really mean anything? If prices for pure break AKC dogs can be so low. I know I still have tons of research to do. Was just curious though.

#17 ·
AKC is a breed registry only....proves the dog has a traceable pedigree, but doesn't mean the dogs are breedworthy or sound in temperament or health.

#18 ·
In my opinion AKC means nothing when it comes to some breeders....I met with 8 breeders before we bought pups....one guy was crazy, his breeding dogs looked sick and the pups looked like they were just rescued from the side of the road...but bus ad and website touted AKC registered.

I did much research and found that I needed to be looking at pups and parents....we were lucky to find great personality with stable lines. We did meet the parents, the breeder told us which pups would work with our family...we chose from two females and two males....we did have to really push to get two...they don't like selling litter mates...but after explaining why we wanted two and how we planned on teaching and socializing them....they allowed...but have kept in touch...to see how they are doing and to get updated pics. And I assume to make sure they are getting what we said they would as far as training and socializing.

I would not trust the AKC stamp blindly....I saw some pretty rough AKC dogs when we first started our search. After a year we found one that we liked both parents, the lines and the health of all the family members....but this is my opinion.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.