German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   9 weeks old too young for antlers? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/396050-9-weeks-old-too-young-antlers.html)

Bowenares 01-14-2014 01:56 PM

9 weeks old too young for antlers?

My puppy is 9 weeks old and has starting teething terribly. I wanted to buy him an elk antler, but wasn't sure if he was too young for it and was having a hard time finding an answer. I appreciate all advice.

And if he is too young what would you recommend?

halo2013 01-14-2014 02:52 PM

His teeth may be a little soft yet for antlers. I'd say if your going to let him chew an antler buy the one of the smaller sizes. And supervise him for awhile.just to make sure he is okay with it. All dog.are different I've had dogs that gotten antlers that young. Some had problems. Some were fine.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Shade 01-14-2014 02:57 PM

I would go first with a split deer antler since it's smaller and the marrow is exposed so it'll be easier. See how he does with that, JMO :) He may or may not be ready for a full antler yet

halo2013 01-14-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade (Post 4833074)
I would go first with a split deer antler since it's smaller and the marrow is exposed so it'll be easier. See how he does with that, JMO :) He may or may not be ready for a full antler yet

I agree

Sp00ks 01-14-2014 03:01 PM

My 9 week pup has about a 6" elk antler and he loves that thing. We watched him closely at first. He carries that thing around with him. He is working his butt off trying to get to the marrow. Keeps him busy.

halo2013 01-14-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp00ks (Post 4833114)
My 9 week pup has about a 6" elk antler and he loves that thing. We watched him closely at first. He carries that thing around with him. He is working his butt off trying to get to the marrow. Keeps him busy.

Yea I've had pups in the past that did well with them. I've also had pups that's didn't do well at all

Sp00ks 01-14-2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halo2013 (Post 4833314)
Yea I've had pups in the past that did well with them. I've also had pups that's didn't do well at all

I would agree with that statement. He will chew a nylabone but you can just tell it's not doing it for him. He will play with that antler for an hour. Maybe not chewing on it but play with it.

DaniFani 01-14-2014 04:36 PM

This is what my vet sent when asked about the antlers and knuckle bones for pups. Basically said to wait until adult teeth were in, I don't want anything to affect those adults when they come in! I want him to have that full mouth of good teeth for biting and grip. :-D

"Anything hard (bony) may damage his deciduous teeth (baby teeth) or may affect the permanents as they come up. How about puppy nylabones? The puppies usually like them, they are safe if they eat them and no damage to teeth."

halo2013 01-14-2014 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp00ks (Post 4833561)
I would agree with that statement. He will chew a nylabone but you can just tell it's not doing it for him. He will play with that antler for an hour. Maybe not chewing on it but play with it.

My pups in the past were the same way. Nylabones didn't interest them. I bought the smallest antler and would only give it to her for specific periods of time. Until her teeth got stronger.

In went to petvalu and bought one of them tough stuff soft toys. I'd substitute the antler for that once her time was up. Shes got a full mouth of pearly whites.

stmcfred 01-14-2014 05:13 PM

I got Lola one when she was about 10 weeks old. Just a small one. She chewed on it a couple times but that's it. She doesn't care for it.