German Shepherds Forum banner

9 weeks old too young for antlers?

21K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Xena9012 
#1 ·
My puppy is 9 weeks old and has starting teething terribly. I wanted to buy him an elk antler, but wasn't sure if he was too young for it and was having a hard time finding an answer. I appreciate all advice.

And if he is too young what would you recommend?

#3 ·
I would go first with a split deer antler since it's smaller and the marrow is exposed so it'll be easier. See how he does with that, JMO :) He may or may not be ready for a full antler yet

#8 · (Edited)
This is what my vet sent when asked about the antlers and knuckle bones for pups. Basically said to wait until adult teeth were in, I don't want anything to affect those adults when they come in! I want him to have that full mouth of good teeth for biting and grip. :-D

"Anything hard (bony) may damage his deciduous teeth (baby teeth) or may affect the permanents as they come up. How about puppy nylabones? The puppies usually like them, they are safe if they eat them and no damage to teeth."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.