Puppy Expectations? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy Expectations?

Hello!

I'm not sure what I should fairly expect out of an 8 week GSD. We have had him for 3 days, and he is doing just great! So I'm not too worried about his progress or anything. Prior to getting him, I did a lot of research mostly through this forum about basically everything puppy related, but now that I have a puppy, I'm not sure when these things will happen.

How long does it take on average to housebreak?
What should his attention spans be like when training at this age?
How much time does it take an 8 week old to get used to a new environment (like our apartment and apartment complex)?
What should his energy levels be like at this point?

And if you think of anything else, feel free to mention it.

I wish there was a source of milestones or something so I would have a general idea about when things should be happening!

Thanks you all. Here are some obligatory pictures!

First day home with my wife

Tired from a long drive!

Family photo!

Booker (Born 11/15/13)
pjvie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 08:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Good looking family. Really cute pup. Look at those ears already....

We have had ours since New years day. Each pup is different. I will try and share our experience so far if that helps.

How long does it take on average to housebreak?

We are just now seeing a major improvement, reduced accidents and telling us when he needs to go. We are still on pup duty trying to avoid mistakes. "almost" all of his accidents have been our fault. So a couple of weeks. I seem to remember the same with our last pup.

What should his attention spans be like when training at this age?

They have the attention span of a gnat. Using high value treats, I can keep him engaged for 5-10 minutes before he starts showing signs of disinterest. Toys? a couple of minutes. He goes from toy to toy.

How much time does it take an 8 week old to get used to a new environment (like our apartment and apartment complex)?

Took ours about 4 days. Apt complex has many more noises, might take a little longer.

What should his energy levels be like at this point?

100 mph, sleep, 100 mph, sleep. He will be 10 weeks this week and we have started noticing his duration increasing.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

For our two....they loved being close by. They potty trained/bell trained (ring the bell to go outside) in a day...we never had any accidents in the house. We would play with them, take then out to potty, put them in their kennels, the second we took them from kennels we would take them to the door, ring the bell, take them out to potty, play with them for about 15 mins....repeat for the first few days. Ours were not out alone for more than 15 mins....we wanted to be sure there were not accidents. Once they figured out the bell meant outside...a few days....they would ring the bell just to adventure outside....:-)
We took them out to adventure or walk just to reenforce using the bell! At 1 year old now...if they ring the bell just to play...we will give them a puzzle if they are not allowed to go out (weather or if we just came in) it works great for them to communicate. They have yet to chew anything or destroy anything...if they ring the bell they go out or we set up a doggie treat puzzle if they can't....keeps them busy and entertained. Ours would nap an hour for every 20-30 mins if play depending on how hard we played. When they were inside playing it was a shorter nap....we they were trying to chase the soccer ball and running for stretches trying to get the ball....they would nap for a couple of hours. Very much like newborns when we first got them. They were still smart at the 8 weeks old, they could pull the basket from under the coffee table, it was always the one that had their toys in it. Millie would also steal all the toys from the basket and hide them in her kennels under blankets....after she had all of those she would get Miles toys and pillow pets from his kennel and put everything in hers...:-) we worked them on our schedule as quickly as possible, about 1 week to have then going to bed when we did. They had to potty every 3 hours....after we had them for 2 weeks We would wear them out super hard before bed, they would sleep 5 hours....and by the time they were 3 1/2 months old we could go to bed at 8:30 and they would not wake until 4:45 which is what time I get up....good luck! You have a cute fur baby....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mcdanfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Our male GSD pup is now 17 weeks......it took him a few weeks to get comfortable around the neighborhood with all the dogs barking etc....First couple of walks were very short lived....In the past 3-4 weeks, he loves walking now...Much more confident, energy levels through the roof.....The first couple of weeks (8-10 weeks), he was a little sluggish outside at night....but that has passed....Your pup will start wandering a little farther away as he gets older.....Try to expose him to as many places, people, and kids as possible....introduce him to dogs that you're 100% positive will have good manners....One bad encounter can greatly effect him....Be his protector... Keep everything positive if you can.

If something seems to scare him.....back away from it and don't force him into the situation.... slowly keep working on progressing him along.....Just act like everything is normal and distance yourself from his fright....If he wants to approach it, let him on his own will......lots of yummy treats, etc....Potty training will get better....Bane still has a few accidents, but it's my fault.....if you can, keep him leashed in the house so you don't let him free roam all over the house without supervision......

Very good looking pup....my pups ears still aren't all the way up yet at 17 weeks old....they are getting there. I'm sure more people will buzz I'm with more info than I have
Jmoore728 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoore728 View Post
Our male GSD pup is now 17 weeks......it took him a few weeks to get comfortable around the neighborhood with all the dogs barking etc....First couple of walks were very short lived....In the past 3-4 weeks, he loves walking now...Much more confident, energy levels through the roof.....The first couple of weeks (8-10 weeks), he was a little sluggish outside at night....but that has passed....Your pup will start wandering a little farther away as he gets older.....Try to expose him to as many places, people, and kids as possible....introduce him to dogs that you're 100% positive will have good manners....One bad encounter can greatly effect him....Be his protector... Keep everything positive if you can.

If something seems to scare him.....back away from it and don't force him into the situation.... slowly keep working on progressing him along.....Just act like everything is normal and distance yourself from his fright....If he wants to approach it, let him on his own will......lots of yummy treats, etc....Potty training will get better....Bane still has a few accidents, but it's my fault.....if you can, keep him leashed in the house so you don't let him free roam all over the house without supervision......

Very good looking pup....my pups ears still aren't all the way up yet at 17 weeks old....they are getting there. I'm sure more people will buzz I'm with more info than I have
Agree....great advice about the visiting with dogs and kids and new places!
Our male just got over his fear of little dogs after much reprogramming....a little dog at the pet store got loose from owner, never bit ours but barked and made such a fuss that ours did not like small dogs. 7 months later, he is pretty much over it. Still practice with it, but he does not freak any more..,little things leave big impacts....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mcdanfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.