German Shepherds Forum banner

When they grow out of lanky puppy stage?

10K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  boomer11 
#1 ·
I currently have an 8 month old boy at home that is super thin. He seems to be developing muscle every week but his bony body is not going away. At what age do they start growing into their bodies? I keep getting comments that he looks very skinny for a shepherd.

He eats like a horse, almost 7 cups a day of Fromm large breed puppy.

Sent from Petguide.com App

#7 ·
My boy Russell is about 10 and half months. He's a typical skinny looking puppy too, but has slowly started to look less like a refugee lately. He's been eating 6 cups of Fromms at my breeder's house for the last 2 weeks (he's visiting while my Sage is in heat). She upped it from the 5 cups I was feeding, because he has been doing lots of running around with his litter sister, and we don't want him to lose any weight.

Don't worry. He'll gain weight as he matures.

#9 ·
Delgado was very lanky until he hit about one year, he slowly filled out and he's going to be 2 this month and I've really noticed a change in the last two months. He's filling out in the shoulders and chest and really starting to look mature. Some dogs just take longer, give it time :)

He ate up to 5 cups of Fromm LBP, any more than that and it just gave him diarrhea but now he swaps between 3.5-4 cups of Fromm Four Star based on his activity level for that day.

#10 ·
It's better on his joints to grow up lean. People still comment to me that my shepherds look skinny, but most people (the general public) have shepherds that look like coffee tables, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.