Do we have time for a GSD puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do we have time for a GSD puppy?

New to the forum. Trying to find out how to start a new post. Any idea?
Airman1stclass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

My wife and I would really love to get a GSD. We both work morning shifts. I wake up at 4 and have to be to work by 5. She wakes up and bring me to work. She doesn't have to be to work until 7:30. She's back home around 11:30 for lunch. Usually has to be back to work around 12:45. We are both home at around 4 in the afternoon. My question is do you think we could get a GDS as a puppy with the schedule that we have. Keep in mind once we are home. We will take the pup wherever we go. We exercise everyday, so the pup being in shape and fit wouldn't be a problem. We are really set on getting a Black Sable GSD puppy. They are just the best looking GSDs. We live in Delaware and wouldn't mind traveling up to 6 hours for the right breeder. Any recommendations would be great. Any feedback really would be very much appreciated!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

If dedicated, you could make your schedule work. The weak point would be, a young puppy will not be able to 'hold it' long enough. The rest of your schedule is workable. What you may need is a larger crate & have a potty spot in the back. Your wife would have to take the pup out at noon & maybe shorten the time she has to eat.

Another option is a trusted neighbor who is a 'dog person' to fill in some. Whatever you end up doing, make up for it when you get off work. To much crate time isn't good.

I doubt you have to drive 6 hours, a good breeder should be closer. One just starts with good stock hopefully. When a dog becomes is mostly up to the owner.

Follow some of these links, then a State German Shepherd dog club.

https://gsdca.org/
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I saved a week of vacation and worked half days the first 2 weeks my pup was home. My pup has always been one of those that could hold it. In fact, even when he first came home, he wouldn't need to potty at night until about 5 am (even though I had taken him out two other times during the night ... he would just lie down on the grass). Your schedule is better than mine is! I usually leave the house around 7:30 ish and don't get home normally until between 5 and 6. I made a deal with my son to come home and let him out at lunch (anywhere from 12-2). Even though he's 9 months old now and doesn't need to be fed three times a day, I still have my son do so Varik can get a break.

We usually play a hard game of fetch in the morning and in the evening. He also loves loves his flirt pole and that can really take the edge of energy. We also work on obedience, tricks, hide and seek games and anything he needs to work on for his class he's now in (pre-agility). We live in the country with an acre of fenced property so we don't do regular walks until the weekends.

Last edited by Galathiel; 01-13-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Galathiel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

As long as you understand you and your wife's entire way of life is going to change when you bring this puppy home, you could make that schedule work.

You and your wife had better be committed to this puppy or all three of you will suffer in the long run.

DO NOT allow the puppy to potty in the crate. That is not crate training. That's 'pee where ever I want too' training and it's bad.

Are you at Dover A1C?

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the feed back everyone. Was much appreciated. We are also going to look into adopting an adult GSD. Not going to quite give up on the puppy though.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Big Dogs, Big Hearts in Rochester is a good rescue if you are open to rescue

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Misty ridge animal resort and german shepherds in new Windsor maryland is an EXCELLENT breeder. I'm not putting any other breeders down but I have met around 10 misty ridge dogs and they all have excellent personalities and great health! And they are all European bred and are beautiful dogs. Also if you want to rescue look into mid-Atlantic german shepherd rescue. They have wonderful dogs there!! Good luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
cwams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.