Color Question: 4 months, 1 week old - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Cool Color Question: 4 months, 1 week old

What is the difference between a black and tan and a black and silver, and can they ever mingle?

My puppy is a black and tan - or at least I thought so! - (unknown yet as to whether he'll be saddle or blanket back) but I've noticed just in the past week or so that a lot of the coloring coming in around his neck, behind his legs, and around his chest are silvery looking. First he was all black except for some tan markings on his feet and face. Now he's mostly still black with tan moving up his legs into the underbelly. The silver is seen progressively moving from the center of his chest (he did not have a white patch) out almost like a low hanging necklace. The tan is moving also from his bottom down along the backside of his tail (you can only see tan if he lays down or lifts his tail) but he's also got silver around the tufts of hair that are longer along the back of his rear legs (where it's fluffy).

Just curious when his adult coat will be totally in and whether he's going to be more silver? I'm just curious. I've noticed the other pup I've been comparing him to (same age, everything) looks much more tan. My puppy's coloring is very light tan and not a rich color, which probably comes from the fact that he wasn't well bred. Just curious because whenever I brush him, I don't get black and tan hairs like I used to a couple of weeks ago - it's very light grey fur... I contacted the breeder yet AGAIN to get a pedigree and they are not responding so that's kind of a crapshoot. Thank you for reading. Sorry for the long thread but I would appreciate some responses as to your experiences with color? Pictures would be a nice compliment to any responses. I'll have to get on my phone and add some of him, I'm on my laptop where I don't have the ability to attach pictures at the moment.
SummerGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Color Question: 4 months, 1 week old-imageuploadedbypg-free1389396081.310043.jpgColor Question: 4 months, 1 week old-imageuploadedbypg-free1389396091.977856.jpgColor Question: 4 months, 1 week old-imageuploadedbypg-free1389396100.397165.jpg

Like this?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thewretched is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Yes. Except his silver parts are tiny and adorable. Haha My pup is bigger so the silver is more noticeable but yes. Same areas. That's similar to my pup except my pups tan is lighter. I'm trying to get a picture with good lighting so you guys can see it.

*-*Summer*-*
Old 01-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

UGH! I can't get him to sit still. :banghead:

*-*Summer*-*
Old 01-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah she's only 10 weeks old, getting them to sit still is impossible

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thewretched is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.