German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   growling (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/393690-growling.html)

jwn6w 01-09-2014 07:19 PM

growling

My 10 month old female shepherd was ripping the rug apart so I told her no and slapped her on the rear, she looked at me and growled I told her no and slapped her rear again and she gave me a real nasty growl this time showing her teeth. She has never done this before and it scares me. Has anybody been in this situation and what do you suggest?? I have been bitten before by a shepherd and do not want to ever have to experience something like that again.:confused:

shugarhey 01-09-2014 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwn6w (Post 4803122)
My 10 month old female shepherd was ripping the rug apart so I told her no and slapped her on the rear, she looked at me and growled I told her no and slapped her rear again and she gave me a real nasty growl this time showing her teeth. She has never done this before and it scares me. Has anybody been in this situation and what do you suggest?? I have been bitten before by a shepherd and do not want to ever have to experience something like that again.:confused:

I would stop the hitting and try redirecting instead

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Eiros 01-09-2014 07:33 PM

Teach her "leave it" and redirect her. If she is bored inside, she might need increased exercise. Make sure she has chews and toys that are hers and praise her when she chews her own items.

jocoyn 01-09-2014 07:37 PM

This is good advice from both. Keep a collar with a tab on it on her so you can grab her if need be. You cannot be scared of your dog; she will know that.

David Winners 01-09-2014 08:32 PM

Certainly don't pick a fight with the dog. You will probably lose. As was stated, train the dog to leave it. Teach it which things are appropriate for chewing.

David Winners

DJEtzel 01-09-2014 08:41 PM

You are wondering why a dog growled at you after you hit it? :confused:

jwn6w 01-09-2014 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJEtzel (Post 4804026)
You are wondering why a dog growled at you after you hit it? :confused:

You make it sound as though I beat her it was a smack on her fat rear to get her attention.
I really do not think that should cause her to react that way.

Mrs.P 01-09-2014 11:44 PM

Stop hitting her it teaches her nothing and accomplishes nothing. Teach her what you want her to chew on instead -her toy.

ubctress 01-10-2014 12:15 AM

I disagree - I think snacking her backside would get that kind of reaction. Your statement doesn't make you sound like the most knowledge savvy dog owner.

David Winners 01-10-2014 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwn6w (Post 4803122)
I told her no and slapped her on the rear, she looked at me and growled I told her no and slapped her rear again and she gave me a real nasty growl this time showing her teeth. :

So, if the slap didn't cause the reaction, what did? If you get physical with some dogs, they will get physical right back. This doesn't imply that you beat your dog. Some dogs will come up the leash with an unfair correction.

Doesn't it make more sense to show the dog what is right? If you communicate to the dog that it is doing something wrong, then show it the right thing to do, there a better chance that the dog will understand. JMHO

David Winners