German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Shedding (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/393522-shedding.html)

zgil86 01-09-2014 12:05 PM

Shedding

Does your puppy sheds a lot? What do you do to prevent shedding as much? My 7 1/2 month old sheds a lot and it's driving us crazy.

halo2013 01-09-2014 12:26 PM

My girl sheds like she's got another animal living in her.
I take her to a friend of mine whose a groomer to work out her season changing coats. I'm there at least 6 times a month right now. I know that's not even close to practical right now trying brushing her for a few hours every night.
If its skin related use vitamin e oil
I use that in every bowl food and water for my dog. It will help make the skin coat and nails stronger and healthier

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

MaggieRoseLee 01-09-2014 04:54 PM

German Shepherds shed, sometimes they shed alot more. Good diet, no extreme temp changes (like keeping house at 75 degrees in winter when out door temps are freezing) and frequent brushing/combing just keep it barely in check for me.

:)

ksotto333 01-09-2014 06:45 PM

We use a rake on her(Tessa is a long coat)several days a week. We take her to our local reservoir and let the hair blow. It truly looks like we've killed a small animal each time. Wonder what the caretakers think...We also run the sweeper at least once per day. It's just another part of this breed.

brittanyb28 01-09-2014 06:54 PM

I put the brush attachment to my vacuum and go at it. It will fill up your canister a few times but better there then the floor. My dog loves it lol.

halo2013 01-09-2014 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brittanyb28 (Post 4802938)
I put the brush attachment to my vacuum and go at it. It will fill up your canister a few times but better there then the floor. My dog loves it lol.

I just tried that with halo and she got super mad Lol. I took that idea as a no.

doggiedad 01-09-2014 11:21 PM

get use to the shedding. brush your dog often.
vacuum and sweep often.

Saphire 01-09-2014 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zgil86 (Post 4800634)
Does your puppy sheds a lot? What do you do to prevent shedding as much? My 7 1/2 month old sheds a lot and it's driving us crazy.

My last GSD shed buckets...it was impossible to keep up in the house. His fur became part of life and food.

With Gus I have almost no shedding. I contribute this to hos RAW diet and Feedsentials.

Sunflowers 01-10-2014 12:03 AM

179 Attachment(s)
I second the no shedding with the raw diet and Feedsentials.
The week I stopped both, I had so much hair around the house that it was shocking. And I was feeding the freeze dried food from the same company!
Two weeks after I started up both again, the hair stays on my dog.

brittanyb28 01-10-2014 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halo2013 (Post 4805354)
I just tried that with halo and she got super mad Lol. I took that idea as a no.

Oh no lol.