German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Serious need of help (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/392842-serious-need-help.html)

loulabelle23 01-07-2014 06:41 PM

Serious need of help

Ok so im starting to loose patients with my 7 month old gsd im at end of giving him up he has done nothing but ruin things chairs cupboards kitchen the shed out the back and guest coats I exercise twice a day play with him I have toys kongs play mental games with him just nothing is ssettling him my heart is breaking anyone have advice please I know I sound awful but just constant ive had enough help
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

LoveEcho 01-07-2014 06:46 PM

Crate him when you can't supervise, first and foremost. Up the exercise. Work heavily on obedience games and NILIF.

loulabelle23 01-07-2014 06:51 PM

Is therw crates out there for his size hes a small but down from a marmaduke dog im just ao lost I sound like bad person but hes just not listening at all

JakodaCD OA 01-07-2014 06:53 PM

Find a crate he'll fit in, and find a good obedience class and take him.

Obedience classes are not just for the dog, they are for the owner as well.

Be more active in your exercise of him. If mine got walked twice a day, she'd be bouncing off the walls from boredom. Boredom = trouble = chewing stuff up.

LoveEcho 01-07-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loulabelle23 (Post 4791586)
Is therw crates out there for his size hes a small but down from a marmaduke dog im just ao lost I sound like bad person but hes just not listening at all

Yes, there are large crates. Search this site for "nothing in life is free" or "NILIF." What kind of training is he getting?

LoveEcho 01-07-2014 06:59 PM

This is a high maintenance breed. I would find the help of a trainer if you are overwhelmed now...

loulabelle23 01-07-2014 07:00 PM

But I mean he is soooo disobedient im not even making this up my brother trains him shows me how to because he does it and jake listens for 2 minutes then doesnt bother he mouths alot as well but eating things and peoples things is pushing me to the edge also hrs pulling on lead which id killing my arm

LoveEcho 01-07-2014 07:04 PM

:
Quote:

Originally Posted by loulabelle23 (Post 4791642)
But I mean he is soooo disobedient im not even making this up my brother trains him shows me how to because he does it and jake listens for 2 minutes then doesnt bother he mouths alot as well but eating things and peoples things is pushing me to the edge also hrs pulling on lead which id killing my arm

Breathe! You'll be ok :). He really, really needs training and exercise. This is their prime age for being "teenagers", so crating is also extremely important. Start small- he has to sit before meals or going out the door. Do obedience work a few times a day with him... it'll not only work his brain and teach him impulse control but it will help him bond with you and be more inclined to listen to you. He can't be obedient if he doesn't know how, and he needs a LOT of exercise. I'm not kidding when I say this breed needs a lot of exercise and a lot of training. Everything you describe, from the destruction to the mouthiness, indicates a bored dog.

MadLab 01-07-2014 07:07 PM

Tyler muto on the leash front
Tyler Muto - YouTube

Cesar millan on the behavior in the house. Check his book 'Cesar's Way' .

stellagirl 01-07-2014 07:08 PM

Crates as well as using baby gates to block off parts of your house are great. Also, when your GSD does ruin/destroy something let them know how much it upset you. Show them the item and really let your hurtful (meaning how sad you are with your verbal and facial expressions) emotions be shown. I have an almost 5 month old GDS who has eaten shoes, stairs (exposing the wood under the carpet), area carpets, pictures, clothing, our wood trim, various items I display, our wedding candle, plants in the yard, my cell phone, the back seat upholstery of our jeep and cat flea medication! She has even attacked our 3 cats! Now, for the most part she knows who is in charge and knows that if she does eat/scratch/etc. something she will be blocked off from my husband and I or be put in the crate.....before taking the plunge to give your baby up get a crate and some baby gates.....