German Shepherds Forum banner

Serious need of help

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Bane Vom Vox 
#1 ·
Ok so im starting to loose patients with my 7 month old gsd im at end of giving him up he has done nothing but ruin things chairs cupboards kitchen the shed out the back and guest coats I exercise twice a day play with him I have toys kongs play mental games with him just nothing is ssettling him my heart is breaking anyone have advice please I know I sound awful but just constant ive had enough help
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
Find a crate he'll fit in, and find a good obedience class and take him.

Obedience classes are not just for the dog, they are for the owner as well.

Be more active in your exercise of him. If mine got walked twice a day, she'd be bouncing off the walls from boredom. Boredom = trouble = chewing stuff up.

#8 · (Edited)
:

Breathe! You'll be ok :). He really, really needs training and exercise. This is their prime age for being "teenagers", so crating is also extremely important. Start small- he has to sit before meals or going out the door. Do obedience work a few times a day with him... it'll not only work his brain and teach him impulse control but it will help him bond with you and be more inclined to listen to you. He can't be obedient if he doesn't know how, and he needs a LOT of exercise. I'm not kidding when I say this breed needs a lot of exercise and a lot of training. Everything you describe, from the destruction to the mouthiness, indicates a bored dog.

#10 · (Edited)
Crates as well as using baby gates to block off parts of your house are great. Also, when your GSD does ruin/destroy something let them know how much it upset you. Show them the item and really let your hurtful (meaning how sad you are with your verbal and facial expressions) emotions be shown. I have an almost 5 month old GDS who has eaten shoes, stairs (exposing the wood under the carpet), area carpets, pictures, clothing, our wood trim, various items I display, our wedding candle, plants in the yard, my cell phone, the back seat upholstery of our jeep and cat flea medication! She has even attacked our 3 cats! Now, for the most part she knows who is in charge and knows that if she does eat/scratch/etc. something she will be blocked off from my husband and I or be put in the crate.....before taking the plunge to give your baby up get a crate and some baby gates.....

#11 ·
not to be disrespectful, but it sounds like your brother isn't training him very well,,Find a professional.

#12 ·
I sound so horrible but I love him to pieces just had enough I teain with him I do the food I do the lie down the sit before he walkd or comes througgh a door he even ate the baby gate to keep out in the garden he eats his shed but to me he does for attention he does it most of time because he doesnt get into the living room or im around but I give him loads of attention he barks ay wheels attacks them attacks hoover the brush the hose he can't evem come up stairs because he wont settle when u tell him off he mouths me

#14 ·
He needs more exercise and training. If you have had enough because of this then you didn't do your research before you got him. They need a LOT of exercise. Find a PROFESSIONAL trainer. Do a LOT of obedience. Crate him. Practice NILIF, like VTGirl outlined for you. You are going to get the same responses over and over, because everything you describe is a standard under stimulated, underexercised GSD puppy.

#13 ·
What treats are you using?
Sometimes you have to take out the big guns even in low distraction situations- to get him to work with you.. Such as real meat, cheese, freeze dried liver meat.

For a crate i suggest a plastic crate, they are not as easy to escape from, some dogs prefer them over wire crates. Since you have such a big dog go for giant or XXL sized crates.. they do make them for huge sized dogs! Amazon.com: Petmate Ultra Vari Kennel, For Pets 90-125 Pounds, Bleached Linen: Pet Supplies
Here is a wire cage link: Amazon.com: MidWest Solutions 2 Door Large Dog Crate: Pet Supplies

Before offering attention, food, water, going outside, treats, going out of a bedroom. Ask him to do something for you
such as sit and wait, down, shake, etc. This is helped a bit for my very rude girl :)

As for exercise, if he has good hips and elbows and can run (what a blessing that is!) Take him out and give him a nice good run with chuck it! Also do walks, as they can be fun for you and him and a bonding time. But if he can RUN, let the guy run to get his energy out that way!

Try incorporating fun tricks and add a new one every week or every 3 weeks, whatever you can do. This is fun for both you. Continue to do the commands he knows now, but do them throughout the day, on walks, before getting up, etc.

Mind games are very important for your dog, just as exercise. There are actually books out there with lots of different mind games you can do with or without your dog, such as this book, which i recommend! Brain Games for Dogs: Fun Ways to Build a Strong Bond with Your Dog and Provide It with Vital Mental Stimulation: Claire Arrowsmith: 9781554074907: Amazon.com: Books

Just some of my thoughts! :)

#19 ·
whoa...

Remember, he's a dog and still a baby.

7 months is like living with a whirlwind but your pup sounds like a very normal, under exercised (yep - a twice daily romp may be too little), and untrained pup.

Training is not about doing it right once, it's repetition, repetition, repetition!

He does not know the difference in his toys and chews and your coats, cabinets etc.. all he knows is that it's fun and it gets your attention.

These dog want to please, but they need to be taught everything.

Consider that your pup probably understands more 'human' words than you'll ever understand dog speak.

Suggest you look for training classes in your area - dog club, not pet store variety.

They do make crates for dogs his size. Many good ones. I personally use one similar to this Midwest LS-1642DD - Double Door Folding Dog Crate For Dogs 71-90 lbs.. My Jack is close to 100 lbs and fits into it just fine.

Good luck, hang in there.

#20 ·
7 months is often when things get really hairy. This is when a lot of dogs get rehomed because it is a difficult age.

You can make it through this.

First of all, make sure he has appropriate things to chew on. Maybe a special safe toy or chew that he gets only when he is crated. But also have stuff for him to carry around, the house. Be able to reidirect him, whenever he starts to chew on anything inappropriate.

Crate him when you cannot supervise him. Crate him when you vaccuum. Crate him when you need a break. The rest of the time, use a leash on him. Leash him to you. You can type on your computer while he is right there next you. You just need to be aware that he is gnawing on the right kind of thing.

Keep up the exercise. A tired puppy is a good puppy. Usually.

Get into some training classes and train him a little bit every day. Maybe three 5-7 minute sessions a day. Keep the training light and fun. Quit when he still wants more.

The crate is your friend. It is not a place for punishement. It is better than closing him in the kitchen, because that isolates him. Crating him keeps him safe.

You picked an intelligent breed. Intelligence and obedience should go together. Eventually it does. But intelligent youngsters usually just get in more trouble. Instead of reacting to all the bad behavior, act. Show him what you want him to do. Engage him. Use his brains and his brawn.

Good luck.

#22 ·
Find a good trainer. Bane will be 9 months next week and the last two months he has been very difficult.

But with the proper training we've had, training is for the dog and owner, he's matured in a short time. He just needed to know who's boss and what he can't do.

Don't give up on your dog . This breed is so intelligent. And later on down the road you'll see progress and there's no better feeling

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.