"Bringing him home" dilemma - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default "Bringing him home" dilemma

We've got a deposit on our pup and are DYING to bring him home! However, we definitely want what's best for him and are faced with a minor problem. He's 4 1/2 weeks right now (born 12/7/13).

I was just texting with the breeder (not true breeders BTW, but they had a litter with their two GSDs) and she mentioned she was thinking of letting the pups go home to their owners around 6 weeks. I've read enough on the forums here to know that 8 weeks seems to be the minimum, and law in some areas, for socialization. (Looked it up, it is not law here unless they are licensed breeders/store, etc)

She said the pups have all had their teeth come in and bit mom enough during feeding that she won't feed them anymore. She said the pups are eating a mix of soft, solid food/puppy formula, and are playing with their littermates and cuddle well with the people in the house.

I told her we'd like to keep him there until he's 8 weeks, but if she lets all the others go at 6 weeks and he's the last one there, will that be good for him? Should we just bring him home once he's the last one left?

I learned some valuable things a bit late, unfortunately, including buying from a reputable breeder, having parents tested (health problems/history?), etc. Didn't know about that until after we put our deposit down. So, all that said, it is what it is. Supposedly, both mom and dad are full-blood, registered, and Luger will have papers. I do NOT know if the parents have been medically tested for problems, unfortunately. That's behind us now and we can't do anything about it- we'll just love Luger no matter what.

GSDav8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Huge red flag on the breeder not wanting to raise the pups because mom is now weaning them(and that is the normal age for pups to start weaning) I'd get my deposit back if possible. If the breeder isn't making any effort in keeping the puppies clean and well nourished from 5-8 weeks, what else is the breeder shortcutting on.
In many states it is illegal to sell pups before 8 weeks of age. I wouldn't support this "breeder"
Old 01-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Agree with Jane... I'd run fast. The "breeder" (and yes, even if they have two pet dogs they want to throw together, that makes them breeders) doesn't follow the law because they're not licensed? This is a great example with what's wrong with the "licensing"... BYB's won't follow the rules anyways. This is not someone you should be giving money to. If any problems arise in the future with the pup, you can count on these people offering zero support or help.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Huge red flag on the breeder not wanting to raise the pups because mom is now weaning them(and that is the normal age for pups to start weaning) I'd get my deposit back if possible. If the breeder isn't making any effort in keeping the puppies clean and well nourished from 5-8 weeks, what else is the breeder shortcutting on.
In many states it is illegal to sell pups before 8 weeks of age. I wouldn't support this "breeder"
Can't get the deposit back. I wrote up a contract for both of us. Well, realistically, I probably could. They're a very nice family. They are taking care of the dogs as well; not worried about that.

This was their first litter that just, kind of, happened. They weren't expecting it.

I can appreciate the disdain for BYBs and I wouldn't have agreed to buy from one had I known all of the issues with them beforehand (found this site too late), but it is what it is. I get regular photos from them and he always looks well taken care of. They have offered for us to stop by any time we'd like.

So, backing out isn't an option. They are more than willing to keep the pup longer, to the full 8 weeks. I just need some help with my concerns about the other pups being released earlier. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Maybe YOU could educate them a little on why it's in the puppies best interest to stay together, atleast until 7 weeks of age..It's only an extra week, and you'd be giving them a little bit of an education as well

I think some want to unload them early because frankly, at this age, they are starting to become really messy, and it's ALOT of work, feeding, keeping their area's clean etc..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEcho View Post
Agree with Jane... I'd run fast. The "breeder" (and yes, even if they have two pet dogs they want to throw together, that makes them breeders) doesn't follow the law because they're not licensed? This is a great example with what's wrong with the "licensing"... BYB's won't follow the rules anyways. This is not someone you should be giving money to. If any problems arise in the future with the pup, you can count on these people offering zero support or help.
I seriously doubt they're even aware of any laws like that. I truly believe they are trying to do things right. I never even knew there were laws like that. I looked it up and there is no applicable law, in this instance, where I live though.

I have, however, been burned on judging people in the past!! **grumbles under breath about a lying, fraudulent insurance adjuster/company**
Old 01-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
Maybe YOU could educate them a little on why it's in the puppies best interest to stay together, atleast until 7 weeks of age..It's only an extra week, and you'd be giving them a little bit of an education as well

I think some want to unload them early because frankly, at this age, they are starting to become really messy, and it's ALOT of work, feeding, keeping their area's clean etc..
Thank you! That's what I tried to pass on to her. Told her of the socialization aspect of it. That's when she mentioned how well they play together and interact with people. Probably doesn't mean much at this point I'm guessing!

I'll do what I can to see if she can at least keep the others around for another week. Thank you for the advice.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

ahh yes, and I'd tell her it's illegal to sell under 8 wk old puppies.. Even 7 weeks is better than six,,forgot to say the puppy is adorable

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I took a puppy home early once. He was 6 weeks or maybe younger. His eyes were still blue. I didn't know better. He is basically a good dog. I don't know if this was from bringing him home early or just how he is, but the problems he has are:

severe separation anxiety. He is alot better now, but he would go crazy if we left him with anyone else. He was ok at his own house. We went on a cruise and left him and Cloey with my parents. He destroyed their blinds trying to get out and slept basically on top of her whining all night for the first 3 nights. I felt terrible. He is better at being left now though.

He refuses to share toys. He is very possessive of all toys except bones. THis was not a problem until we got the GSD. Cloey only likes bones. The GSD likes everything and there have been a few fights, but it's getting better.

He doesn't really like playing with other dogs. He likes to play alone or with us, but not other dogs.

He is a wonderful dog though.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

If she refuses to keep them til 8 wks, try for at least 7 wks. The longer the better, but some people have their mind made up. They are more work after 5 wks of age, that is why people want to dump them with buyers as quickly as possible. I would keep all my litters til 12 wks, but people want them at 8wks.
dawnandjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.