"Bringing him home" dilemma - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks everyone!

She's already said they'd be happy to keep him till he's 8 weeks, so we'll go with that! Definitely want to avoid the separation anxiety if at all possible! Sound like that's a handful, trcy!

Just sent her another text saying the consensus is to keep them till they are at least 8 weeks, it's best for all the puppies. If I can work in the fact that 8 weeks is law in most places I certainly will.
GSDav8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

While you are doing research, here is the latest vaccination protocol....maybe the breeder can pass this info on to the puppy buyers. Worming should be done as well. Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog | 2013 and 2014 Canine Vaccination Protocol - W. Jean Dodds, DVM
Old 01-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Cool, thanks, Onyx!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Huge red flag on the breeder not wanting to raise the pups because mom is now weaning them(and that is the normal age for pups to start weaning) I'd get my deposit back if possible. If the breeder isn't making any effort in keeping the puppies clean and well nourished from 5-8 weeks, what else is the breeder shortcutting on.
In many states it is illegal to sell pups before 8 weeks of age. I wouldn't support this "breeder"
I agree with this!

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Just my two cent worth-I've brought everyone of my pups (11 with only two exceptions) home @ six weeks-I have never experienced behavioral problems with any of them in the 50 years I've had dogs.
deldridge72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deldridge72 View Post
Just my two cent worth-I've brought everyone of my pups (11 with only two exceptions) home @ six weeks-I have never experienced behavioral problems with any of them in the 50 years I've had dogs.
Thank you, deldridge!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deldridge72 View Post
You're making a habit of supporting bad breeders.

The problem is that no reputable breeder will do that (I've heard of it happening in single pup litters, but those are special circumstances). What other corners have they cut? What health testing has been done? Do the parents have any titles proving they are worthy of breeding? It shows the breeder does not care about the best interests of their dogs and offspring, and just about making a quick buck with minimal effort.

Think about how much you spent on the deposit and how much an unhealthy/unstable pup will cost you long term.

A couple hundred bucks is a drop in the bucket. I would walk away, but that is just me. Not because of the 6 weeks thing, but that I doubt very much that they care about what it means to be a responsible breeder.

GSDav8r, go read thorough some of the health/behavior and aggression threads to find out what happens when corners have been cut.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I really think 7 weeks is ideal rather than 8 due to bonding/ usual fear period type stuff, but am in general agreement that 6 weeks is too young.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

So her contract seems to be about her rights and not yours?
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I brought my pup home at 6 weeks. He's completely fine, no separation anxiety. My new addition who was allowed to go home only at 8 weeks because she was from a much better breeder (I got her at 2.5 years old) has terrible separation anxiety...so please, unless you have data that uses a huge segment of the population, do not scare people with things you've read online that have no basis except for an author's own experience.

If she's releasing the other dogs at 6 weeks, its probably better for you to get yours at 6 weeks as well. The point of him being at the breeder is more for socialization with the pups and less about the mom. She'll be around, but at that point not doing that much for the pups.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.