Am I raising a huge dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2014, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Am I raising a huge dog?

My pup, Zoey, just turned 7 months and was 65.8 pounds at the vet today! I she going to be humongous? Has anybody else had a female this large at 7 months.

She is 24 inches tall at the shoulders. You can easily see her where she thins from her ribs to her hips from the top and there is a tuck up into her tummy when looking from the side. We do at least an hour of play time outside each day. We live on 76 acres so we play alot of fetch around the property and even play on a hill with a large jolly ball so she gets extra excercise.

Her daily diet is 5 cups of puppy food mixed with organic dog food. She gets the occassional raw cut.

Her dad is a working line dog and was 100 pounds and her mom was around 70 pounds.

Any ideas or thoughts would be great. The pics below were from about a month ago. I will try and post updated pics tomorrow if needed.

CIMG0286.jpg Photo by berginator33 | Photobucket

http://s730.photobucket.com/user/ber...?sort=2&page=1
Zoey'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 06:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Wow, that is indeed humongous lol. At that age my girl was about 50 lbs. she's a year now and just hit 70lbs. Looks like yours is taking after her father. I'd expect a huge dog, yes lol.
Ava_Shepsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 07:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

She's adorable! And huge! Love the photos and videos, and what a great spot to have a dog.
LynnPritchard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

We too thought Olivia was going to be a bruiser... Then came the plateau after 7.5 months. Now she is leveling off with the weight gains.

Quite envious of 76 acres... I'd love to have 1 at this point
Tim&Marth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

The acreage is really nice to have. Especially with her. She is off leash pretty much all the time and the natural wildlife provides enough distractions when we are training outside as well. Not much of that going on now though. With this nationwide cold snap, I am not very motivated to go play outside for an extended period of time. Zoey doesn't care at all though. I think she actually enjoys the cold weather.

Excuse the mess in some of the photobucket pictures. In May we moved into a cabin my dad built 40 years ago. It needed extensive remodeling, hence the mess. We were remodeling, living in the cabin, I was working full time (my girlfriend is a teacher and had the summer off), and raising a puppy. Needless to say our hands were full.

http://s730.photobucket.com/user/ber...?sort=2&page=1

Last edited by Zoey'sDad; 01-07-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Zoey'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My female was probably weighed in the 70's when she was 7 months. She is 3.5 yrs old now and weighs between 86-88lbs.

I don't think she is huge at all. We think other GSDs are small.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm trying to remember...I think my pup REALLY slowed down on weight gain around 6 months or so. She's now about 70 lbs, so pretty big for a female. I think your pup will gain more, but it might not be as much as you think.

I remember when she was gaining 10 lbs a month I was getting kind of worried, I kept her very lean too. She ended up being large for a female, but not ridiculously big. Her mom is 60 lbs and her half sister is 65.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

at exactly 7 months my female was 57 lbs, and at almost 13 months now she's between 62-64, it slowed down A LOT for us at that point.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
DWP

Default 95 lb female

Our youngest GSD Female ended up 95lbs. Turns out she was just the biggest of her litter. We didn't want a "Big" GSD, but got one. Sometimes it happens.

Philip Perkins
DWP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

My GSD puppy did the same thing - about a ten pound increase with each month of age and then it leveled off at about 7-8 months of age. She weighs 75 pounds and is now 20 months old. It just took her time to grow in to her body and especially her feet.

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.