I don't know what to do - Leaving puppy alone - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I don't know what to do - Leaving puppy alone

Hello

So my SO just broke up with me today while I was at work. By a text message.

The problem is that "we" got a German Shepherd puppy thats 6 months now that she left me with.

I have no idea what to do with her while I am at work now.
I work 10h shifts. So I am away between 11-11,5h each day.

I got no friends,family or a dog hostel close by that can help me. No neighbours either.
I cannot go home under my lunch breaks either.

I am desperate right now, I cant stay home from work because then I cannot pay my rent and I really dont want to rehome Kira either.

I need your help.
Doggypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Give up your job today, your present home, pick up your puppy and drive. Believe me, you have nothing to lose, you lost your spouse and you would lose the next one. What you are living for? To work? There wouldn't be any wife, any children, any friends, no dog, no happiness if you continue the way you live now.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taggart View Post
Give up your job today, your present home, pick up your puppy and drive. Believe me, you have nothing to lose, you lost your spouse and you would lose the next one. What you are living for? To work? There wouldn't be any wife, any children, any friends, no dog, no happiness if you continue the way you live now.
I don't really get your post tbh

So leaving my job and my home would solve my problem about having to leave my puppy alone for a long time?

How would no money and no home solve that?
I got no money saved up.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Can you bring puppy to work with you? crate in your vehicle and let out on your breaks?
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by my boy diesel View Post
Can you bring puppy to work with you? crate in your vehicle and let out on your breaks?
I can't I do not own a car and I take the bus to work, thats why I cannot get home under breaks.

I am not allowed to bring her to work either. I've already asked.
I have already started to search for a new work, but I still need money to pay rent until I can find another.

I do not work many days. Around 3 days / week.
But still, those days she will be left alone for a long time.

You don't think it might work if I go up 1-2h earlier and play with her etc, give her food and then let her into her crate until I get home where I do the same, spend as much time as possible until it's bed time.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

11 hours in a crate...would you want to be in there 11 hours with no potty break?
see about a dog day care?
do you own home or rent? erect a dog kennel/pen outside?
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What about getting a room mate? That's a terribly long time to be left alone. If you're dead set on keeping this puppy, then you have to have some concern for how lonely it will be for her. What about expanding your family include a kitten? I'm sorry things aren't working out for you right now.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
What about getting a room mate? That's a terribly long time to be left alone. If you're dead set on keeping this puppy, then you have to have some concern for how lonely it will be for her. What about expanding your family include a kitten? I'm sorry things aren't working out for you right now.
I have a 2 room appartment, I can't get a room mate really.

I am not deadset on keeping her. I but I really don't want to part ways with her and I hate my SO for forcing me into this position.

I don't know what to do! I want to keep her, but she will be alone for so long, until I find a new job.

Or if I can find someone to pay that can go home and walk her etc while I work.. But thats kinda hard as most people can't handle "big dogs".
Old 01-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If you can get someone to walk her, then that's great! But be realistic. Besides working, add sleeping - you won't be giving her much of a life. And if she's bored, she may get destructive. And if she's not let outside, there's the house soiling to consider. The only reason I'm spelling it all out like this is because my very first GSD came into my life under the exact same circumstances. After keeping his puppy confined in an apartment for so long, the original owner couldn't take it anymore and rehomed him to me. He loved his dog, but eventually came to the conclusion that he really shouldn't keep him anymore. I loved him very much too.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

A dog sitter would cost you $50 -80 a day, your local dog school should know the telephone numbers of dog walkers as well, or search for dog walkers, someone should respond. You didn't say you have to work 3 days a week, I thought it was the wholw week you have to waste yourself like that.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.