German Shepherds Forum banner

I don't know what to do - Leaving puppy alone

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  middleofnowhere 
#1 ·
Hello

So my SO just broke up with me today while I was at work. By a text message.

The problem is that "we" got a German Shepherd puppy thats 6 months now that she left me with.

I have no idea what to do with her while I am at work now.
I work 10h shifts. So I am away between 11-11,5h each day.

I got no friends,family or a dog hostel close by that can help me. No neighbours either.
I cannot go home under my lunch breaks either.

I am desperate right now, I cant stay home from work because then I cannot pay my rent and I really dont want to rehome Kira either.

I need your help.

#2 ·
Give up your job today, your present home, pick up your puppy and drive. Believe me, you have nothing to lose, you lost your spouse and you would lose the next one. What you are living for? To work? There wouldn't be any wife, any children, any friends, no dog, no happiness if you continue the way you live now.

#5 ·
I can't I do not own a car and I take the bus to work, thats why I cannot get home under breaks.

I am not allowed to bring her to work either. I've already asked.
I have already started to search for a new work, but I still need money to pay rent until I can find another.

I do not work many days. Around 3 days / week.
But still, those days she will be left alone for a long time.

You don't think it might work if I go up 1-2h earlier and play with her etc, give her food and then let her into her crate until I get home where I do the same, spend as much time as possible until it's bed time.

#7 ·
What about getting a room mate? That's a terribly long time to be left alone. If you're dead set on keeping this puppy, then you have to have some concern for how lonely it will be for her. What about expanding your family include a kitten? I'm sorry things aren't working out for you right now.

#8 ·
I have a 2 room appartment, I can't get a room mate really.

I am not deadset on keeping her. I but I really don't want to part ways with her and I hate my SO for forcing me into this position.

I don't know what to do! I want to keep her, but she will be alone for so long, until I find a new job.

Or if I can find someone to pay that can go home and walk her etc while I work.. But thats kinda hard as most people can't handle "big dogs".

#9 ·
If you can get someone to walk her, then that's great! But be realistic. Besides working, add sleeping - you won't be giving her much of a life. And if she's bored, she may get destructive. And if she's not let outside, there's the house soiling to consider. The only reason I'm spelling it all out like this is because my very first GSD came into my life under the exact same circumstances. After keeping his puppy confined in an apartment for so long, the original owner couldn't take it anymore and rehomed him to me. He loved his dog, but eventually came to the conclusion that he really shouldn't keep him anymore. I loved him very much too.

#10 ·
A dog sitter would cost you $50 -80 a day, your local dog school should know the telephone numbers of dog walkers as well, or search for dog walkers, someone should respond. You didn't say you have to work 3 days a week, I thought it was the wholw week you have to waste yourself like that.

#11 ·
When we got our puppy at age of 8 weeks, he was crated up to 10-11 hours. Not saying it was a good solution but it was the only one we had. He was in create for 3-4 months until we built sunroom for him with space to run. I would create him until you find long term solution.

#12 ·
I have no idea what to do with her while I am at work now.
I work 10h shifts. So I am away between 11-11,5h each day.

Only 3 days a week?

She should be fine. If my 14 week old can hold for 8 hours overnight, your 6 month old can hold for the amount of time you are working. Our dogs used to go all day without being let you before DH started working closer to home.

Just make time to bond, train and play with her. Ask your neighbors if they can let her out midway thru the day or after 8 hours.

#15 ·
I work between 100-160hours a month (100-120ish at the winters and 160 towards the summer).

I always work 10h shifts and never more than 3 days in a row. (But I can probably change days so I never work more than 2).

Like:
Next week I work Wensday and Friday
Week after that I work
Monday, Tuseday - Saturday, sunday

You guys really think it can work? Even if I can't get a dog walker?

I've crate trained her to max.
She once was in there for 16hours when I slept that long. (On pain meds because I was sick). She could hold it.

I suppose I should give her food at the morning now then? When I wake up and then walk her for a long walk before I head off to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.