Sorting Toys?! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Sorting Toys?!

Yogi is now 4 months. I've just started noticing something odd:

All of his bones are in his kennel. All of his balls are in the left corner of my livingroom by the fireplace, shoved in a corner behind a chair and all of his stuffed animals are in the entryway by his food bowl. I picked up all his toys/chews yesterday and put them in the toybox we have for him and he's been grabbing his stuff and putting it back! I didn't realize dogs could sort stuff! Or is this just a coincidence? Does anyone else's dog do this?

*-*Summer*-*
Attached Thumbnails
Sorting Toys?!-1388788103224.jpg   Sorting Toys?!-1388788124326.jpg   Sorting Toys?!-1388788144381.jpg  
SummerGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

LOL! Smart puppy! Cafall's toys are kept in a closet and rotated out every week so he doesn't have access to them all to sort them like Yogi has. For what it's worth the stuffed animals usually end up in the bedroom for sleepy time though.
Kahrg4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 04:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Bump

*-*Summer*-*
SummerGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 07:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I didn't notice ours sorting toys, but he did have a habit of stealing ONE of my slip-on shoes nearly every night. I'd wake up in the morning, and have to ask where my other shoe is, and he'd prance on out to the kitchen to sit by it as if to show me where he put it.

He also knew by name several of his other toys. And the one toy he never ever tore up was the very first one my husband gave him, that my husband had slept with for several nights to get it all scented like him before we went to pick up our boy. All other stuffed toys were generally torn to shreds within moments if not minutes.

I miss that dog so much sometimes, and I can't wait until I can have another GSD in my life. Now excuse me while I go find the Kleenix.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My don't sort by kind of toys, but which ones are their favorites. 2 of them put their balls in the food while they are eating. Midnite is notorious for gathering all the balls and putting them in the empty food dishes. This morning , one of them lined up three toys on the rug, by which toys the were I would guess Midnite.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No sorting but Lucky will drop Squeakfeet in his bowl while eating.He used to gather his stuffed animals around him in a semi circle .Always thought he was protecting them from Daisy. I like your boys sorting and placing his toys. He likes them organized.

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Clipper always had toys stacked up on the food bowls! Sometimes would drop some in the water bowls too! Poor Cody was always having to nose the toys out of the way! Clipper would always replace them when you moved them! There were certain toys they never let stay in the toy basket, others they weren't interested in at all, would pick past those to the ones they liked!
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My dog doesn't sort things but she is very specific about how she plays with certain toys, even if they seem the same to me!

she's an aggressive chewer, so I am limited in what I can give her. As a result, she's got a number of Cuz balls because they seem to hold up. They all look the same to me except for the colour, but she always holds the one in her mouth, and uses it to push the other one around the room. It's the strangest thing. If she picks up the other one, she will switch it before she rolls it around.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Wow! Some serious intelligence on display there lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.