Too cold? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Too cold?

It's been really cold here in Canada for the past few days, with a windchill of -30, and although I can wear two pairs of pants a ton of clothes, my 15 month old pup can't
Whenever I take him for a walk now, he starts to limp and walk with only 3 legs after a few minutes. Then he just completely refuses to walk and just stares at me. I bought booties for him, but they don't seem to be helping. Maybe one of his paws are really sensitive to the ice??
So I resorted to taking him out for short periods of time more often. But we run into the same problem every time. I feel so horrible seeing him shiver and limp when we're outside though
And also, he is really hyper indoors because he doesn't get his usual long walks

Anyone else have this problem or suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Can you take him too a space in your home and play with him for an hour or so? I am in the the Durham region area and know what you are saying! the dogs go out for a pee then come straight back inside, i have a very large basement and i can play some ball or tug o war with them down there.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

mine are the opposite , bring them indoors and it is too warm , they head for the doors

dogs with shifts of more than 20 degrees F which is about what winter conditions from our very warm house to the natural outdoors is. Dogs that are snug inside while owners are away at work and then put outdoors for an hour or two when they come home feel it because they have not adapted or been acclimated . Can cause respiratory problems . It is the sudden changes that are the problem.

so how cold was it last night --- missleslee did you wake up last night around 3 a.m. -- ? I was up reading - no interruptions! -- and then there was a BOOM . Thought roof collapse - ran out , ran upstairs to check ceilings . All good. Then later on the radio 1010 John Moore around 8 or so there were all sorts of call-ins with reports of multiple BOOMS , described as almost a super loud zonic boom. Climatologist came on to describe frost-quakes https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=cr&ei=...fe=off&tbm=nws . There were four or five . We actually had a frost quake in our area during the power-outage of the ice storm we had just before Christmas.

I mean is there anything else mother nature can throw at us. A summer of flooding with police marine units needing to take people off the GO train, to ice storms to frost quakes ?

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yes, the kids were in the living room and all i heard was a loud boom and i thought something hit the side of our home. Frost tremors are new to me, i have never heard of them before..now they are being reported everywere!..i think next summer we will be hit with severe storms. I believe you are in Orillia but do you remember a few summers ago when we had that giant one and tornados touched down in new market area?
Old 01-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Sounds like maybe a pad got a bit of frostbite or something...

It's hard when it's so cold isn't it? My baby was outside a lot before we got him, so he has been used to it. He likes to be in, but he seems good outside too. Of course we bought him from a breeder on the other side of the Continental Divide where it doesn't get quite as cold. It's supposed to be below 0 F this weekend so we'll be playing ball and tug in the house probably.
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

What are we righ now -37 or something crazy like that, i felt so bad for andrew last night as he loaded on his long johns and headed for ski patrol. He said his eye lashes froze in place when he was boarding down one of lakeridges bigger hills lol. Luckily no one got hurt at all.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

missleslee - I am in Brooklin , I can bike to your street easily , in spring and fall , take dogs from my house to the Vipond arena and back -- can walk to your area easily -- about 12 k's return .
You are thinking of sapphire who is in Orillia.

Carmspack
Old 01-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
missleslee - I am in Brooklin , I can bike to your street easily , in spring and fall , take dogs from my house to the Vipond arena and back -- can walk to your area easily -- about 12 k's return .
You are thinking of sapphire who is in Orillia.
Ooops i am sorry!
Old 01-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

many people woke up to car batteries that were drained .

Carmspack
Old 01-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Orillia here!! I was up briefly at 6am and was -40 on my back deck.

Gus loves this weather and thankfully he has spent alot of time outside so his winter coat is now keeping him warm. He spent a full hour playing with his now squished plastic baby pool. Throws it everywhere, I just can't bring myself to taking it away from him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.