Too cold? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My daughter is leaving for Palm Beach, Florida on Sunday. I heard it has gotten really cold there. It's only 60. Those poor people must be freezing. Hope they have a sweater.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
My daughter is leaving for Palm Beach, Florida on Sunday. I heard it has gotten really cold there. It's only 60. Those poor people must be freezing. Hope they have a sweater.
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
many people woke up to car batteries that were drained .
That would be meeeee. It was devastating as I could not go to work....
Old 01-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Mine is limping on the cold snow too, but she's not shivering.

I'm lucky, I have a large horse riding arena I can let her bomb around in there where she's out of the wind and her paws are out of the snow, but in temps like this I basically just let her out to potty and she comes right back in.

I'm lucky, she's got a good off switch and is happy to entertain herself with her toys, but I'll do nosework inside to tire her out a bit and she seems pretty happy.

It's supposed to warm up a bit over the weekend, (but we're supposed to get another 15 cm of snow on Sunday), but cold again on Tues.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

My prior GSD, when I was a teenager, used to roll around in the snow! This one is happy outside too...happy to be in but sometimes I think it gets too warm for her and she likes to head out!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ladyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
That would be meeeee. It was devastating as I could not go to work....

I didn't wake up to it, but my repeated attempts to turn my truck over drained it.

I've been keeping the dogs inside, they get a 5 minute romp a half dozen times through the day. My Saint, who is just brilliant, like this dog's IQ she was out yesterday and was lifting her paw, so I was trying to get her in, she laid down on the snow, on her back, all 4 feet in the air. She thinks she should like this weather, but she is just not conditioned for anything more than a few minutes. Oz, I guess a sign he's getting older is quite content with out and in. I do remember, when he was much younger, the inside games, finding a room big enough to roll a ball, hiding things all over the house for him to find, feeling no matter what I did, it only took the edge off - fortunately for me, we had far fewer deep old days in his entire puppyhood than we have had this year.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dognite View Post
Sounds like maybe a pad got a bit of frostbite or something...
I'm curious....could cold weather, playing in deep snow etc. cause injuries to the nails of a dog's paw? Whereas if a nail was torn, the cold snow might keep it from bleeding much. Or even cause damage to the bed of the nail from romping on icy snow?

Remember, I'm from South Texas - we had freezing weather this morning...a chilly 32! So I can't even imagine what ya'll are going through!
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I'm curious....could cold weather, playing in deep snow etc. cause injuries to the nails of a dog's paw? Whereas if a nail was torn, the cold snow might keep it from bleeding much. Or even cause damage to the bed of the nail from romping on icy snow?

Remember, I'm from South Texas - we had freezing weather this morning...a chilly 32! So I can't even imagine what ya'll are going through!
Any outside play can potentially cause foot injuries. I've had dogs who had minor pad injuries from cold. If the snow has a crust they can damage the paws just from the rough edges in the snow if they go through the crust.

Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

From Wisconsin and I don't ever remembering a day being too cold to walk my dogs, however they spend a lot of time outside (today 4-5 hours not all at one time) and the paws do have to acclimate in order for them to tolerate very cold temps. The acclimation has to be a daily process from my experience.

However, my sister has a little terrier mix who not only doesn't spend anytime outside (except to potty) but also has sensitive paws from allergies. But he has come on hikes with me and I put "Mushers Secret" on his paws and it really helps and allows him to hike with us in single digit weather with negative double digit wind chill. We periodically reapply the ointment to his paws through-out the hike.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
Don't you dare laugh at us. It's your evil storm that made it cold down here too! We're freezing at 45. I'm actually under a toasty electric blanket right now!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.