Halti? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Halti?

Do any of you use the head harnesses when your pups pull? Seems like regular harnesses do not work on Zeus. I just want to know your opinion.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
GSDlover143 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Attached Thumbnails
Halti?-1388707676497.jpg  
GSDlover143 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

my opinion - and it is not the most popular opinion! - is that these things are nothing but bandaids for people who cannot train a dog....

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
my opinion - and it is not the most popular opinion! - is that these things are nothing but bandaids for people who cannot train a dog....

Lee
Do you feel the same about a prong collar ??

SuperG
SuperG is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I don't like them at all for a number of reasons, but I'd rather see someone have control than be dragged all over the place. A regular harness doesn't offer much control.

How old is your pup? A Martingale collar of a prong collar might be the solution you need.

One reason I hate Halti's is that dogs can wiggle out of them very easily - I used to assist in OB classes. Participants could use any collar or harness they wanted. We would recommend prongs or other collars where we saw it could help, but it was up to the owners to decide.

Every single class, there was always one or two dogs that wiggled out of their halti and take off. It seemed to me that the dogs that had haltis spent the whole hour fighting against it.

If you want to try a halti, have a collar on and have a short line connected from the leash to the collar in case your dog wiggles out of it.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

I use a halti on my 18 month old. Have been using it since about 12 months of age. I find it easy to control the dog than a check collar as the correction is more direct and uses less force. He has wiggled out of it couple of times when he was harder to control but he's learnt a lot since and responds well. It makes control of a 90lb dog easy as it controls his head.

rbyun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

IMHO, A head collar is a management tool. If you don't have the time or knowledge to train the dog to walk on a loose leash, but still need to exercise the dog, it can be a useful tool.

With that being said, you should never give your dog a correction with a head collar. It snaps their head sideways and can apply a lot of pressure to the neck in a very awkward angle. It is not a training collar meant for applying corrections.

I feel that if you own a dog and want to exercise it by taking walks, you owe it to the dog to train it accordingly. It usually takes less than an hour total to teach loose leash walking though leash pressure work. I see no need for the head collar.

How many trainers do you see using head collars?
David Winners is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 08:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I agree. It was tough though, when I was at training class with my dog and you only had the option of using a flat collar and a halti, so I got one.

I hated it, so did my dog. It started rubbing the fur on the bridge of her nose (I had to put padding on it), and also was irritating her eyes. My vet said she sees a lot of neck and eye injuries with them.

It's preferable to your dog dragging you everywhere, and I have to say it does work well for that, but otherwise I really didn't like it.

My dog and I both like using a prong better. When she doesn't pull, it doesn't 'activate' and she is not bothered wearing it. Just putting the Halti on my dog, she acted like I was punishing her, and the first time I put in on she laid on her side in the fetal position and didn't want to move. lol
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 08:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
I agree. It was tough though, when I was at training class with my dog and you only had the option of using a flat collar and a halti, so I got one.

I hated it, so did my dog. It started rubbing the fur on the bridge of her nose (I had to put padding on it), and also was irritating her eyes. My vet said she sees a lot of neck and eye injuries with them.

It's preferable to your dog dragging you everywhere, and I have to say it does work well for that, but otherwise I really didn't like it.

My dog and I both like using a prong better. When she doesn't pull, it doesn't 'activate' and she is not bothered wearing it. Just putting the Halti on my dog, she acted like I was punishing her, and the first time I put in on she laid on her side in the fetal position and didn't want to move. lol
This is common, but prongs get labeled inhumane.

David Winners

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

How old is Zeus? How long have you been working on teaching him leash skills? Nothing is going to instantly "work", loose leash walking is a skill, just like any other, and you need to show him what you expect.

If your puppy pulls too much on a flat collar, I'd try a front hook harness like the Sense-ation, or the Easy Walk, especially if he's too young for a prong collar. But still, it's a training tool, not a substitution for training.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.