German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Changing Crates (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/389474-changing-crates.html)

Galathiel 01-01-2014 09:08 AM

Changing Crates

Has anyone switched their dog from airline crate to wire? My pup will be 9 months old and has always had a vari-kennel (40 inch). I noticed a couple of nights ago when I turned the light on in his room that he was sleeping on his side, but looked like a pretzel. I have a wire crate still in its box that I bought before I even brought him home. I decided not to use it and used my 20 year old ugly vari-kennel instead because of the horror stories of puppies getting paws and jaws stuck in wire crates. I'm just worried that he will not like a wire crate being used to the airline one. I could probably somewhat cover it but he will pull anything he can get inside I'm sure. Even though there's not a lot of opportunity with the plastic crates, he still managed to snag his leash and shred the end of it when he was itty bitty.

The wire crate is a 48' x 32' x 30' so would give him a lot more room, but would be pointless if he can't settle and rest in it. Anyone else done this transition?

doggiedad 01-01-2014 09:24 AM

i got my pup when he was 9 weeks old. we used an airline crate
for a few weeks. then he was in a crate that could house a full
grown Great Dan. he was fine in the large crate. i didn't use any dividers.

i wouldn't cover a crate. i'm afraid the pup might pull whatever the crate
is covered with into the crate and harm himself. i don't lean anything
on the crate and nothing is laid on top of the crate. i make sure the
crate is in a position where the pup can't come in contact with anything.

i never put my dog in his crate with his collar on.

Sp00ks 01-01-2014 09:30 AM

We have a 40" airline style crate. We noticed her all pretzeled up in the crate one day. We were trying to decide if we wanted a larger crate and ended up just taking the door off the airline crate. That worked out quite well, she was a good girl. We ended up just putting the crate in the attic and forgoing a larger crate.

Courtney 01-01-2014 09:34 AM

Same here. Had a airline plastic crate that we used for several weeks. I just put him in his new wire crate one day, just did it. It's very large & I didn't use the divider (it can also fit a Great Dane). He was fine, no issues.

jocoyn 01-01-2014 09:49 AM

I went from wire crate to airline crate. Only I got a 48 inch airline crate.

Got tired of stuck paws, snagged collars (now it is off) and the risk of collapsed crate. I also like that I can vacuum out the plastic crate without the hair and dirt going everywhere.

I would reconsider a wire crate if they brought back the original Kennel Aire style with 1" grids

Courtney_Chambers 01-01-2014 06:57 PM

Our pup is 15 weeks and I switched to wire crate. No problems. :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

doggiedad 01-01-2014 09:23 PM

you copy cat. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 4753154)
i got my pup when he was 9 weeks old. we used an airline crate for a few weeks. then he was in a crate that could house a full grown Great Dan. he was fine in the large crate. i didn't use any dividers.

i wouldn't cover a crate. i'm afraid the pup might pull whatever the crate
is covered with into the crate and harm himself. i don't lean anything
on the crate and nothing is laid on top of the crate. i make sure the
crate is in a position where the pup can't come in contact with anything.

i never put my dog in his crate with his collar on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtney (Post 4753210)

Same here. Had a airline plastic crate that we used for several weeks. I just put him in his new wire crate one day, just did it. It's very large & I didn't use the divider (it can also fit a Great Dane). He was fine, no issues.

Courtney 01-01-2014 09:29 PM

I know, could have saved time & just quoted you! lol