Very Playful Puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Very Playful Puppy

In general, does a very playful/mischievous puppy mean I'm going to have a mischievous adult? I'm am not complaining as I understand she is just a baby, but I'm just wondering if there is a formula to puppies. Will a quiet pup usually become a quiet adult?

Thanks in advance.
Donovan514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

No, it means "I'm a working dog". So, you better make him a working dog. It would be easy to make him ball mad and use a ball as a major tool in your training, because he would do anything you ask him in order to get the ball. The best bouncing ball to start training is this Chuckit Dog Ball | eBay. After a while you will find that you can open it and place a scent inside it. Chuckit ball doesn't have any smell of its own, thus, with placing a scent into it you can train your dog to look for it with association to the scent. That is how the sniffer dogs are trained, they don't search marihuana or explosions, they are sniffing in order to find their ball. You can also get a glow ball for your night play.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks David.
Donovan514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Thanks David.
You are welcome. Train him "Drop it!" - he should drop it at your feet, and "Give it!" - he should give it into your hand as exchange for a tiny piece of Cheddar (or any treat he likes). Please, don't forget, that a ball play is interaction, it is a play of two. Toys represent prey for dogs. If you threw it high - that is a small bird, if you threw it like in bowling and it runs in short bounces - it would represent a mouse. Ask him "Sit", "Down", "Come", or any other command and treat by throwing his ball for him, thus the ball becomes a sort of a treat. Further in training, if you place the ball at your armpit or simply hold it in your right hand and start walking - that is the way to start training him "Heel".
Old 12-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taggart View Post
Chuckit ball doesn't have any smell of its own, thus, with placing a scent into it you can train your dog to look for it with association to the scent. That is how the sniffer dogs are trained, they don't search marihuana or explosions, they are sniffing in order to find their ball. You can also get a glow ball for your night play.
I've seen you post this a couple of times. I can smell a chuck it ball. A dog definitely can. Everything has odor. Detection dogs that are trained in the manner you describe are proofed off indicating on the scent of the ball without target odor.

The dog is shown that even if the ball is right in front of the dog, the only way to access it is through finding the odor.

David Winners

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
I can smell a chuck it ball.
I think it doesn't. I use Chuckit ball buying one and the same last six years. My previous dog couldn't find it without inserted scent even if I saw it it was very close to the place where she was searching, and my present dog failes.
Quote:
dogs are proofed off indicating on the scent of the ball without target odor
You have to train them to indicate by barking. That is further in training, you place the ball on a tree for the start. I let her to smell the second piece of cotton ( the first one is inside the ball) and send to search. Then you start burying it, the dog shouldn't grab it, should bark and wait for you to come. You start burying just a scent after. Lucy barks, I come and treat her with the ball taking it out of my pocket. I started with essentual oils ( though the oils are difficult to wash out, for each you need a separate Chuckit ball ), then dry herbs. I bury it in the evening and she finds it next morning. Last part of training is with people, she should identify a person in association with the smell.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

with training and socializing you'll have the dog you want but
it's all up to what you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan514 View Post
In general, does a very playful/mischievous puppy mean I'm going to have a mischievous adult? I'm am not complaining as I understand she is just a baby, but I'm just wondering if there is a formula to puppies. Will a quiet pup usually become a quiet adult?

Thanks in advance.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
I've seen you post this a couple of times. I can smell a chuck it ball. A dog definitely can. Everything has odor. Detection dogs that are trained in the manner you describe are proofed off indicating on the scent of the ball without target odor.

The dog is shown that even if the ball is right in front of the dog, the only way to access it is through finding the odor.

David Winners
Totally agree. Everything has a scent.

I do scent work with my dog, and we are always changing what containers (metal, plastic etc) we use so the dog is not searching for those scents, but the designated odour. Dogs can definitely smell a ball or any toy, they have incredible noses.

ETA: to the OP, having a busy/mischievous puppy means you will probably have a dog that is going to be game for anything and love to work for you, but it doesn't mean it won't learn to settle down in the house. I do think it's a great idea with those dogs to do things like scent work, which a pup can easily learn (great way to tire them out without overtaxing their bodies!) and it is a great way to direct that energy into something positive.

Last edited by blackshep; 01-02-2014 at 08:53 AM.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.