German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Very Playful Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/389210-very-playful-puppy.html)

Donovan514 12-31-2013 04:06 PM

Very Playful Puppy

In general, does a very playful/mischievous puppy mean I'm going to have a mischievous adult? I'm am not complaining as I understand she is just a baby, but I'm just wondering if there is a formula to puppies. Will a quiet pup usually become a quiet adult?

Thanks in advance.

David Taggart 12-31-2013 04:46 PM

No, it means "I'm a working dog". So, you better make him a working dog. It would be easy to make him ball mad and use a ball as a major tool in your training, because he would do anything you ask him in order to get the ball. The best bouncing ball to start training is this Chuckit Dog Ball | eBay. After a while you will find that you can open it and place a scent inside it. Chuckit ball doesn't have any smell of its own, thus, with placing a scent into it you can train your dog to look for it with association to the scent. That is how the sniffer dogs are trained, they don't search marihuana or explosions, they are sniffing in order to find their ball. You can also get a glow ball for your night play.

Donovan514 12-31-2013 04:50 PM

Thanks David.

David Taggart 12-31-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Thanks David.
You are welcome. Train him "Drop it!" - he should drop it at your feet, and "Give it!" - he should give it into your hand as exchange for a tiny piece of Cheddar (or any treat he likes). Please, don't forget, that a ball play is interaction, it is a play of two. Toys represent prey for dogs. If you threw it high - that is a small bird, if you threw it like in bowling and it runs in short bounces - it would represent a mouse. Ask him "Sit", "Down", "Come", or any other command and treat by throwing his ball for him, thus the ball becomes a sort of a treat. Further in training, if you place the ball at your armpit or simply hold it in your right hand and start walking - that is the way to start training him "Heel".

David Winners 12-31-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Taggart (Post 4750378)
Chuckit ball doesn't have any smell of its own, thus, with placing a scent into it you can train your dog to look for it with association to the scent. That is how the sniffer dogs are trained, they don't search marihuana or explosions, they are sniffing in order to find their ball. You can also get a glow ball for your night play.

I've seen you post this a couple of times. I can smell a chuck it ball. A dog definitely can. Everything has odor. Detection dogs that are trained in the manner you describe are proofed off indicating on the scent of the ball without target odor.

The dog is shown that even if the ball is right in front of the dog, the only way to access it is through finding the odor.

David Winners

David Taggart 12-31-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

I can smell a chuck it ball.
I think it doesn't. I use Chuckit ball buying one and the same last six years. My previous dog couldn't find it without inserted scent even if I saw it it was very close to the place where she was searching, and my present dog failes.
Quote:

dogs are proofed off indicating on the scent of the ball without target odor
You have to train them to indicate by barking. That is further in training, you place the ball on a tree for the start. I let her to smell the second piece of cotton ( the first one is inside the ball) and send to search. Then you start burying it, the dog shouldn't grab it, should bark and wait for you to come. You start burying just a scent after. Lucy barks, I come and treat her with the ball taking it out of my pocket. I started with essentual oils ( though the oils are difficult to wash out, for each you need a separate Chuckit ball ), then dry herbs. I bury it in the evening and she finds it next morning. Last part of training is with people, she should identify a person in association with the smell.

doggiedad 12-31-2013 09:52 PM

with training and socializing you'll have the dog you want but
it's all up to what you do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donovan514 (Post 4750162)
In general, does a very playful/mischievous puppy mean I'm going to have a mischievous adult? I'm am not complaining as I understand she is just a baby, but I'm just wondering if there is a formula to puppies. Will a quiet pup usually become a quiet adult?

Thanks in advance.

blackshep 01-02-2014 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Winners (Post 4750546)
I've seen you post this a couple of times. I can smell a chuck it ball. A dog definitely can. Everything has odor. Detection dogs that are trained in the manner you describe are proofed off indicating on the scent of the ball without target odor.

The dog is shown that even if the ball is right in front of the dog, the only way to access it is through finding the odor.

David Winners

Totally agree. Everything has a scent.

I do scent work with my dog, and we are always changing what containers (metal, plastic etc) we use so the dog is not searching for those scents, but the designated odour. Dogs can definitely smell a ball or any toy, they have incredible noses.

ETA: to the OP, having a busy/mischievous puppy means you will probably have a dog that is going to be game for anything and love to work for you, but it doesn't mean it won't learn to settle down in the house. I do think it's a great idea with those dogs to do things like scent work, which a pup can easily learn (great way to tire them out without overtaxing their bodies!) and it is a great way to direct that energy into something positive. :)