Anal glands expressing themselves? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to jessjeric
Default Anal glands expressing themselves?

What does that mean?
Today Veda and I were at a friend's house. I had just let her out to go potty, she went, and when we came back in she sat on the couch. When she got up, there was a very small wet spot where she had been sitting. I thought maybe it was just snow or maybe a little dribble left over from her potty break but almost immediately I noticed a horribly strong, fishy odor
From wheat I've been reading on here, most people say that's the anal glads expressing themselves but I have no idea what that means or what I should do about it! She's currently on Solid Gold Wolf Cub kibble and has been doing well on it for the last couple weeks. The only thing different in her diet is her sneaking some of my parents' dog's food (Beneful ) and yesterday she snuck a good hunk of the cat's food. Could that be the problem?
Any advice/ideas welcome! Thanks
jessjeric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjeric View Post
What does that mean?
Today Veda and I were at a friend's house. I had just let her out to go potty, she went, and when we came back in she sat on the couch. When she got up, there was a very small wet spot where she had been sitting. I thought maybe it was just snow or maybe a little dribble left over from her potty break but almost immediately I noticed a horribly strong, fishy odor
From wheat I've been reading on here, most people say that's the anal glads expressing themselves but I have no idea what that means or what I should do about it! She's currently on Solid Gold Wolf Cub kibble and has been doing well on it for the last couple weeks. The only thing different in her diet is her sneaking some of my parents' dog's food (Beneful ) and yesterday she snuck a good hunk of the cat's food. Could that be the problem?
Any advice/ideas welcome! Thanks
Each time your dogs goes #2, the outgoing feces touch against the glands, scenting your dog's poop. If the feces are solid, it should empty the glands naturally on exit. If your dog has ice cream like consistency, it is not strong enough to help the glands empty. Once the glands fill up, it may dribble a small amount out. That noxious, sulfuric, old fish smell is the tell tale sign.

If it gets worse, you may need your vet to suppress the glands. This will empty the glands and make the smell go away. Monitor the poop consistency... If you need to tighten it up, chicken and rice will do the trick. Not to a point where you will constipate your puppy, but rather just enough to get a solid fecal matter to help empty them naturally.
Tim&Marth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Pet health 101: What are anal glands and what problems can they cause for dogs and cats? - National Pet Health | Examiner.com
Old 01-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to jessjeric

Thank you!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
jessjeric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.