Am I bringing her home too soon? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hessa View Post
Okay so bad breeder, but I'm not going to just let her go. Deposit aside she still deserves a loving home and I won't deny her it because of a bad breeder. I will try to leave her there for 8 weeks, but now that I know this breeder isn't too responsible I don't know if I should. '

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
And this is why bad breeders will never stop what they are doing.
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Okay so bad breeder, but I'm not going to just let her go. Deposit aside she still deserves a loving home and I won't deny her it because of a bad breeder. I will try to leave her there for 8 weeks, but now that I know this breeder isn't too responsible I don't know if I should. Anyways it's too soon obviously, but what are the repercussions? I have access to other dogs small and big boy and girl. Would that help with areas it draws concern to?

You give your money to this breeder and they're just going to do it again. And again and again. People stop buying from her and maybe she stops breeding.

It's like when people think of this as rescuing by buying from breeders like this or in really bad situations. The only thing you're rescuing is the breeder's bank account.

If you're going to give money to a breeder, and I don't care what the amount is, I'd want to know about all the health testing and the pedigree first. I'd want to know the breeder is doing the right thing with their dogs. If they're not, eat the deposit and look somewhere else for a more responsible breeder.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Those are valid arguments to take into consideration.

Hessa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ask the breeder if all the pups are spoken for and if they are all going home at 6 weeks. If they are, then take yours too. Better with you than with the breeder for 2 weeks if the other puppies are no longer there. If the others are leaving at even seven weeks it would be better to wait until then to bring yours home.

Good luck with your new puppy.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks Selzer. Huge help.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hessa,

This one puppy is not going to make or break anyone. Will it have problems? Yes. Most assuredly and for a number of reasons. The first being it is a live creature and all live creatures become dead creatures at some point, and most of them do not live to the end of their allotted span without every having a hiccup. Good breeders have not been able to stave off death and they really only have made a little progress at staving off the problems that are so prevalent in the breed.

It will also probably have problems because you are a newbie owner, and will need to learn along with the puppy. You will have to decide whether a trainer is good or full of poop. You will have to discover your and your pup's training style, and most likely there will be some hurdles along the way.

We support good breeders because we have the best chance at getting the dog we are trying to get, with the temperament and suitability that we want. We support them because we believe they are trying to do right by the breed. We support them because they will take a dog back if it becomes necessary, and they can help us with our questions and concerns about our pups. We make the decision before we put down our deposit.

If you go there and you feel the puppies are sick, weak, abused, left in serious filth, drop your deposit and go. Don't take the puppy. Just leave and ASAP call animal control. But most likely you have fallen on a small breeder whose dogs are perfectly comfortable, fed, and the puppies cared for.

Now you have to make a decision. You may decide that it is not right to support a breeder who is not doing everything that this site would like to see breeders do. Health testing, titles, the right kind of titles, show rating, etc. But then you have to ask yourself, should you drop your deposit and give this breeder that money. He will sell your puppy, don't be concerned about that, but now instead of making, say $800 on your puppy, he will make $800 + your deposit say $200. I frankly do not think this will teach him any lesson at all.

Again, if the pups are being kept in very poor conditions, and are showing signs of neglect. Don't buy the puppy. If there is something you just don't like about it, if your gut says, No! walk away. Better that then getting a puppy and being very sorry about it later.

But don't be quick to totally back out at this point and not see the puppies at all. That is just giving the man whatever amount you gave for a deposit.

Good luck whatever your decision. For your first dog, you're fine. Most of the people on this site got their first dogs from what they call BYBs (back yard breeders) or even pet stores (puppy mills). After learning about it, they now want to make sure others do not make the same mistakes, and that is well and good. Not all of them have had problems with their dogs -- more than what is normal for a GSD. But some have. Some have with better breeders too. It is what it is.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Hessa,

This one puppy is not going to make or break anyone. Will it have problems? Yes. Most assuredly and for a number of reasons. The first being it is a live creature and all live creatures become dead creatures at some point, and most of them do not live to the end of their allotted span without every having a hiccup. Good breeders have not been able to stave off death and they really only have made a little progress at staving off the problems that are so prevalent in the breed.

It will also probably have problems because you are a newbie owner, and will need to learn along with the puppy. You will have to decide whether a trainer is good or full of poop. You will have to discover your and your pup's training style, and most likely there will be some hurdles along the way.

We support good breeders because we have the best chance at getting the dog we are trying to get, with the temperament and suitability that we want. We support them because we believe they are trying to do right by the breed. We support them because they will take a dog back if it becomes necessary, and they can help us with our questions and concerns about our pups. We make the decision before we put down our deposit.

If you go there and you feel the puppies are sick, weak, abused, left in serious filth, drop your deposit and go. Don't take the puppy. Just leave and ASAP call animal control. But most likely you have fallen on a small breeder whose dogs are perfectly comfortable, fed, and the puppies cared for.

Now you have to make a decision. You may decide that it is not right to support a breeder who is not doing everything that this site would like to see breeders do. Health testing, titles, the right kind of titles, show rating, etc. But then you have to ask yourself, should you drop your deposit and give this breeder that money. He will sell your puppy, don't be concerned about that, but now instead of making, say $800 on your puppy, he will make $800 + your deposit say $200. I frankly do not think this will teach him any lesson at all.

Again, if the pups are being kept in very poor conditions, and are showing signs of neglect. Don't buy the puppy. If there is something you just don't like about it, if your gut says, No! walk away. Better that then getting a puppy and being very sorry about it later.

But don't be quick to totally back out at this point and not see the puppies at all. That is just giving the man whatever amount you gave for a deposit.

Good luck whatever your decision. For your first dog, you're fine. Most of the people on this site got their first dogs from what they call BYBs (back yard breeders) or even pet stores (puppy mills). After learning about it, they now want to make sure others do not make the same mistakes, and that is well and good. Not all of them have had problems with their dogs -- more than what is normal for a GSD. But some have. Some have with better breeders too. It is what it is.
I find this a strange response, especially the quotes in red. It is full of assumptions.
You are not here to teach the breeder a lesson but to get a pup you will be happy with for a long time.
I have adopted a puppy at 6 weeks and had dogs and thought it would be OK. It was a disaster. I am sure people have dodged that bullet but I would consider the deposit the price of a lesson well learned and get a good pup from a good breeder who doesn't release them before at least 9 or ten weeks. Just make sure you inquire about socialization to see if th epups are exposed to various situations and seeing plenty of people.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

I think really my main concern is do those two weeks have the potential to make or break my dog? Like you said its a living thing and has a mind of its own. Every good living thing has it's bad moments. There's no such thing as perfect I understand that, but will it ever be out of my hands because of two weeks? Or is it still that my dog is going to be whatever I raise it to be? I don't want to do anything that's going to make my pup psychologically unstable.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
I think really my main concern is do those two weeks have the potential to make or break my dog? Like you said its a living thing and has a mind of its own. Every good living thing has it's bad moments. There's no such thing as perfect I understand that, but will it ever be out of my hands because of two weeks? Or is it still that my dog is going to be whatever I raise it to be? I don't want to do anything that's going to make my pup psychologically unstable.

These two weeks are crucial and it is best not to get a pup before the 8 week age mark. Most problem pups I see as a trainer were adopted before that age, were hand raised or raised as a single pup. They often lack bite inhibition, are pushy and hard to raise. They have missed out on crucial lessons from the mother and litter mates.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:

I honestly don't think those valuable two weeks are going to be about a make or break for the puppy. It's going to be about the make or break for YOU. A puppy in and of itself is a TON of work, and by bringing the pup home early, you are adding to your workload. The puppy learns A LOT in this 2 week time span from it's mother and littermates and what it learns contributes to it's development and social behavior. This is turn becomes more work for you trying to teach the pup things it would have learned from its mother and littermates in social interaction, bite inhibition, etc.
Lakl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.