Are these full blooded GSDs? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

I highly doubt they are purebred, look like rottweiler mix puppies to me. Did you see the dad when you picked him up?
stmcfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyslastbeer View Post
yea Missouri does have several puppy mill laws. I wasn't aware there was an age restriction as far as selling puppies though. I know he didn't come from a mill. He was on a farm with his siblings and mother. I am going to let them know that they're selling those puppies young. I'm kind of upset that he's not full blooded. I'll also let them know of that. But still, he is a very sweet pup and we will love him no matter what. Thanks for all the input everyone.
Andys last beer, what the heck do you want for $75? If you want a "full blooded" GSD, buy a dog that is registered through a reputable registry. In the US that would be the AKC.

Otherwise, what the heck is the difference? You can't show a dog with no papers? You shouldn't breed a dog if you don't know what the pedigree is? You can do everything else with a mixed breed. Why does it matter if your dog is a mix?

If you wanted a pure-bred dog, a dog with the look, dimensions, and temperament of a GSD, you should have bought a dog from a reputable breeder or gotten an adult dog from a rescue that would definitely look the part as it is already an adult and has the appearance you want.

People with a litter of pups they need to find homes for should sell them for a nominal fee -- $75 to people who will give them a decent home. They should advertise wherever people who are likely to want to pay next to nothing for a dog are likely to look. The puppies need homes. There is no point in having 6 week old puppies subjected to a shelter environment in order to find homes.

But for heaven's sake folks, don't expect a purebred puppy for $75. What it it that parents used to teach their children? "If it is too good to be true, then it probably isn't."

And, Andys last beer, don't be disappointed in the puppy. He doesn't care what his background is, and it isn't his fault. If you want a shepherd, find this one a good home, and go and get one. Just don't act all disappointed in this little fellow.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah

Last edited by selzer; 12-26-2013 at 02:15 PM.
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

I didn't see dad. They he is their friends dog and that he is full GSD. Mom definitely is. No question there

selzer, as I stated earlier, we will love this puppy no matter what. I am just trying to verify the claims of the seller so that I can let them know that they do not have full blooded GSD pups if that is the case.

I had a feeling it was to good to be true but when I saw mom I felt a little relieved. Either way, I believe he is going to be a great dog.
andyslastbeer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
yea Missouri does have several puppy mill laws. I wasn't aware there was an age restriction as far as selling puppies though. I know he didn't come from a mill. He was on a farm with his siblings and mother. I am going to let them know that they're selling those puppies young. I'm kind of upset that he's not full blooded. I'll also let them know of that. But still, he is a very sweet pup and we will love him no matter what. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Andyslastbeer,

Much of what selzer states makes sense to me.

You now have a great puppy and the journey begins....enjoy him as you suggest.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:

selzer, as I stated earlier, we will love this puppy no matter what. I am just trying to verify the claims of the seller so that I can let them know that they do not have full blooded GSD pups if that is the case.

I don't mean this to sound harsh, but do you think they care if they are full blooded or not? And I only say that from experience. We had some "friends" (term used lightly, and former friends after this experience) that sold "purebred" GSD pups on Kiji and they knew **** well that the mom was not a full GSD (but she looked a lot like one to the average person). They sold them along with several other false claims about the parents (mom specifically that I remember) and we called them on it (for several reasons). It did not go over well, to put it mildly.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Levi vom Grunenfeld, RIP 9/5/04 - 3/4/13
mspiker03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I didn't see dad. They he is their friends dog and that he is full GSD. Mom definitely is. No question there

I had a feeling it was to good to be true but when I saw mom I felt a little relieved. Either way, I believe he is going to be a great dog.
Well, as there are no papers, none of us at this point can tell you if they are a mix or not. Sure, most of us have seen purebred puppies, and these kind of look like some mixture -- probably rott with the yellow dots over their eyes. But we wouldn't be able to win you your money back in small claims court. The only way to ensure that the puppy is indeed a pure-bred GSD, or not a pure-bred GSD, is by buying a pup who is registered, and even then mistakes and fraud have occurred, though it is kind of stupid to do, since the AKC can require DNA testing, and then they can suspend people.

The pups look like they have rott in them. But I have seen a beautiful black and cream GSD whose markings were similar. I have no clue what she would have looked like as a puppy. The black and tan puppies that I have whelped do not look like those puppies, that is the best I can do.

Heidi, RA CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

I thought it was illegal to sell pups on eBay? Has that changed?
Old 12-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspiker03 View Post
I don't mean this to sound harsh, but do you think they care if they are full blooded or not? And I only say that from experience. We had some "friends" (term used lightly, and former friends after this experience) that sold "purebred" GSD pups on Kiji and they knew **** well that the mom was not a full GSD (but she looked a lot like one to the average person). They sold them along with several other false claims about the parents (mom specifically that I remember) and we called them on it (for several reasons). It did not go over well, to put it mildly.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Too true, if half of the undocumented litters I have known about were actually sired by a police dog (as their owners claim), then police dogs have to spend more time breeding than going after bad guys.

In two or three weeks, you will be head over your heels in love with this puppy, that you are not going to care -- at least that is what the breeder is hoping for. At least you didn't spend an arm and a leg for the puppy. 6 puppies at $75/each is not going to make anyone feel that their breeding endeavor is going to make them enough money to go and do it again. It was probably an accident, Sir Lancealot got over the fence and bred her when she was in their yard. They may think the pups are pure because they have a male that's shooting blanks, and the rangey, mangey rottweiler mix down the road is the actual father.

Heidi, RA CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galathiel View Post
I thought it was illegal to sell pups on eBay? Has that changed?
there is ebay -- where you bid on stuff, auction, and there are e-bay classifieds. I think it is ok on the classifieds to sell puppies.

Heidi, RA CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

I completely understand were everyone is coming from and I appreciate every ones input. I doubt the breeder will care if I do tell them but it will at least make me feel better. We are already head over heels for the little guy anyway!
andyslastbeer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.