Dog park Etiquette for humans - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Dog park Etiquette for humans

I frequent a dog park about once a week with my boy. At this park the rules are made visible that if your dog shows any signs of aggression that you need to remove him from the play area.

My dog is not aggressive and loves to wrestle like most dogs. Well yesterday I encountered a woman with her large greyhound. My dog wanted to play with the other dog and was doing all the cute stances, jumping around etc. Out of no where this woman shoves my dog and says to him (yes, to my dog ) "Stop that, he doesn't like it! GO AWAY!" and continuously keeps shoving my dog away. Neither of the dogs looked distressed, growled, or whined at any point. In fact I saw both dogs playing tag at one point..yet the woman accused my dog of being a bully, when all I was witnessing was typical puppy play that normally goes on in the park.

My question is, at this point would the right thing to have done would be "tell my dog" to stop playing with the greyhound? I say this so loosely because this is a dog park where there was about 10 other dogs running around, It seems unreasonable for me to stalk my boy the entire duration to make sure he does not 'bother' the other pup.

I want to make park visits enjoyable for all dogs and owners and I will gladly break up a dog fight if one ever started, but this is just an odd request..
vrosa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

The reason I won't be frequenting dog parks. The people, not the dogs. Sorry, i had to get that out.... I can just see more harm than good from a dog park. I'd rather do a play date or something with people and dogs I know.
Sp00ks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

JMO

It's always easiest and probably best to take the high road in those types of situations, either leave or remove your dog to another section and keep it away from hers. There's no real way to "win" the argument and in the mentality of promoting peace for all people at the park try and stay away from fights. If the person was kicking your dog in a corner and not stopping of course stand up right away for the dog, but for little spats like that it's really not worth the breath or aggravation.

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
JMO

It's always easiest and probably best to take the high road in those types of situations, either leave or remove your dog to another section and keep it away from hers. There's no real way to "win" the argument and in the mentality of promoting peace for all people at the park try and stay away from fights. If the person was kicking your dog in a corner and not stopping of course stand up right away for the dog, but for little spats like that it's really not worth the breath or aggravation.
I think telling my dog "NO" in a situation that he (and I) think is correct is just going to make him think hes being a bad boy. She ended up leaving as I started to walk up to them, which left me thinking I did something wrong.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ks View Post
The reason I won't be frequenting dog parks. The people, not the dogs. Sorry, i had to get that out.... I can just see more harm than good from a dog park. I'd rather do a play date or something with people and dogs I know.
I agree with you. This park has a good streak of everyone cleaning up after their dogs, behaving nice, but sometimes a few clueless people will end up their. I have tried just doing private play time but behavior wise there is a difference from when I play with him vs with another dog, he has alot of built up energy. And unfortunately know no one else with dogs. So I have to put up with this so Axl doesnt destroy my house LOL
Old 12-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You should respect her wishes and get your dog away from hers. You really should be "stalking your boy the entire duration" if you can't control him with your voice and call him off of dogs/tell him to leave certain dogs alone.

Sure, the lady might be overreacting, but she has a greyhound. I would never allow my boy to play with a greyhound because his "normal" play would crush one and likely break it in half. Does that mean greyhounds probably shouldn't be at the park? Probably...but there are hundreds of people that believe GSD shouldn't be at the park because they do tend to play rougher. If the lady had tried to remove her dog from your dog, and your dog kept following/trying to play with her dog...you should've called your dog away as she was clearly trying to avoid your dog. After trying to get away from your dog, and you not stepping in, she finally decided to let you know that you should call your dog off.

There is also the chance that she knows her dog doesn't appreciate the way your dog is trying to initiate play, and is actually protecting YOUR dog from something bad. If he's a puppy...that greyhound might try to correct him inappropriately and then you'd be on here writing "A greyhound attacked my puppy at the dog park."

IMO...if you can't recall your dog or tell him to leave a dog alone with just your voice, you should never be farther than a 5 second sprint from your dog. Dogs can go from play to fight in the matter of seconds, and even if you're not worried about YOUR dog starting the fight, you should be worried about your dog being at the bottom of one. I don't allow my dog to play when both dogs are standing still, or he's starting to mouth at the other dog's back. I like a nice game of chase, but once they stop and start staring/biting...things can only escalate. Generally at that point I will call my dog off and walk somewhere else.

Always keep in mind that you own the "dangerous breed." Your shepherd will get blamed for EVERYTHING unless there's a pitbull running around.

As far as "correcting" or yelling "no"? Don't yell no...just redirect him. Call him to you, and then praise for coming to you. You're right...correcting him while he's "playing" can cause a miscommunication...so just redirect.

Last edited by martemchik; 12-23-2013 at 01:58 PM.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrosa View Post
I agree with you. This park has a good streak of everyone cleaning up after their dogs, behaving nice, but sometimes a few clueless people will end up their. I have tried just doing private play time but behavior wise there is a difference from when I play with him vs with another dog, he has alot of built up energy. And unfortunately know no one else with dogs. So I have to put up with this so Axl doesnt destroy my house LOL
Fair enough. Point taken. In your shoes, I would likely do the same. We have enough friends with dogs, I think we could probably avoid dog parks.
Sp00ks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrosa View Post
I think telling my dog "NO" in a situation that he (and I) think is correct is just going to make him think hes being a bad boy. She ended up leaving as I started to walk up to them, which left me thinking I did something wrong.
But does it really matter what she thinks? In the end, you protected your dog and removed him from a situation which could turn ugly. Not all dog owners have patience, especially when it comes to "protecting" their dogs from the "big bad GSD"

You can easily do it nicely. "*insert dog name*” wait for the dog to turn to you, “come over here and we'll find someone else to play with" for example. Use a calm but happy voice and given the choice the dog should come immediately to you. You're happy (dog is safe and with you), the dog's happy (rewards for obeying the recall), and the other owner is happy (you diffused the situation.)

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
You should respect her wishes and get your dog away from hers. You really should be "stalking your boy the entire duration" if you can't control him with your voice and call him off of dogs/tell him to leave certain dogs alone.

Sure, the lady might be overreacting, but she has a greyhound. I would never allow my boy to play with a greyhound because his "normal" play would crush one and likely break it in half. Does that mean greyhounds probably shouldn't be at the park? Probably...but there are hundreds of people that believe GSD shouldn't be at the park because they do tend to play rougher. If the lady had tried to remove her dog from your dog, and your dog kept following/trying to play with her dog...you should've called your dog away as she was clearly trying to avoid your dog. After trying to get away from your dog, and you not stepping in, she finally decided to let you know that you should call your dog off.

There is also the chance that she knows her dog doesn't appreciate the way your dog is trying to initiate play, and is actually protecting YOUR dog from something bad. If he's a puppy...that greyhound might try to correct him inappropriately and then you'd be on here writing "A greyhound attacked my puppy at the dog park."

IMO...if you can't recall your dog or tell him to leave a dog alone with just your voice, you should never be farther than a 5 second sprint from your dog. Dogs can go from play to fight in the matter of seconds, and even if you're not worried about YOUR dog starting the fight, you should be worried about your dog being at the bottom of one. I don't allow my dog to play when both dogs are standing still, or he's starting to mouth at the other dog's back. I like a nice game of chase, but once they stop and start staring/biting...things can only escalate. Generally at that point I will call my dog off and walk somewhere else.

Always keep in mind that you own the "dangerous breed." Your shepherd will get blamed for EVERYTHING unless there's a pitbull running around.
Well in my defense The park is enclosed and not very large, so I most certainly always have my eyes on him. Also this greyhound might I add was HUGE (a little taller then axl).

But in any case, the greyhound was not standing still and from what I saw was playing. I dont mean to sound horrible but after my dog has played so nicely with a year old mini greyhound when he was already twice its size at 2 months, I think its living proof that dog owners can sometimes over exaggerate. It all depends on the dogs play style. my pup knows that he is not small anymore, and knows how to be gentle with smaller animals.

But I do understand what you mean about me having the bad breed, I guess in the moment I was totally caught off guard as to how unreasonable she was acting.

Btw here is Axl and Rocco at his first playgroup
Old 12-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
You can easily do it nicely. "*insert dog name*” wait for the dog to turn to you, “come over here and we'll find someone else to play with" for example. Use a calm but happy voice and given the choice the dog should come immediately to you. You're happy (dog is safe and with you), the dog's happy (rewards for obeying the recall), and the other owner is happy (you diffused the situation.)
Thank you, Ill have to keep this in mind next time if this happens again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.