Dog park Etiquette for humans - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Greyhounds have fairly thin skin and it's not difficult for them to be injured. She didn't know your dog's play style and may have wanted to forestall roughhousing.
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

She shoved your dog? i dont like that, in this situation she could have just as easily asked for your assistance you without putting her hands on your pup.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

Firstly she shouldn't have shoved your dog she's lucky he didn't get a warning off him and had it been my dog she was shoving she'd have got a gob full off me cause how would she have felt if you went round shoving her dog plus why not just come over and say to you do you mind getting your dog as mine isn't sure of yours shepherds do play rough but I think if in future you see someone telling g your dog off in any way it's best for all round to intervene si that situation don't arise again cause one day someone will do that and your dog will retaliate more so as he gets older

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
sarah1366 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrosa View Post
Well in my defense The park is enclosed and not very large, so I most certainly always have my eyes on him. Also this greyhound might I add was HUGE (a little taller then axl).

But in any case, the greyhound was not standing still and from what I saw was playing. I dont mean to sound horrible but after my dog has played so nicely with a year old mini greyhound when he was already twice its size at 2 months, I think its living proof that dog owners can sometimes over exaggerate. It all depends on the dogs play style. my pup knows that he is not small anymore, and knows how to be gentle with smaller animals.

But I do understand what you mean about me having the bad breed, I guess in the moment I was totally caught off guard as to how unreasonable she was acting.
How would you feel if my 85 lbs GSD was playing with your puppy? Even though he might be gentle...his 85 lbs frame could do some real damage to your boy if he lands on him. It's not about standing still/running at the moment of play. My point was that if a greyhound is running...my dog won't be able to catch it. If another dog is running, there is less of a chance that someone gets nipped wrong or play gets too rough since both dogs are in motion. And the problem isn't that the greyhound is taller than your dog, your dog is stockier and put together differently. Greyhounds just look fragile. I've met plenty of greyhounds that are taller than my boy...it doesn't mean he can't come down on their backs or throw them to the ground in a way that would really hurt them.

I don't think you did anything wrong...but you should be a little more open minded and respect other people's opinions/feelings on what is safe play.

On the whole pushing your dog thing...if I had tried to call my boy away from your dog, and he kept coming at him (even in a small dog park), and all you did was stand there and watch even though I was clearly trying to diffuse the situation by going to another area...at a certain point I would physically correct your dog. Although I would react negatively if someone physically reacted my dog...I tend to not let it get to that point and will remove my dog from any situation before the other person feels the need to put their hands on my dog. I know you said "out of no where," but I'm sure there were probably signs before that she wanted to get her dog away from yours. You might not have read them that way...but they might've been there.

I get the fact that you still have a young pup...but in a few months you're going to have a large pup that will probably be bigger than 90% of the dogs at the dog park. Its then that things really get interesting. I don't think you should stop going if you enjoy the park, but you should be more respectful of other people and their dogs. If you see someone is kind of iffy about your GSD playing with their dog...get him out of there, doesn't matter if what he's doing is acceptable to you, its clearly bothering someone. What's wrong with redirecting and letting him play with the other dogs there?

Last edited by martemchik; 12-23-2013 at 03:20 PM.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Sorry I think you misunderstood. I was only sharing the photo of his first playgroup. my dog is currently 80lbs and the greyhound I am referring too is around the same weight group. its very common at this park to have some owners at times bring their toy dogs to the large breed area, because they know their small pups can fend for themselves and enjoy rough housing with larger dogs. My 80 pound has a regular playmate that is at a whopping 15lbs and has fallen on him before. But no broken bones or complaints from owners their.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
If you see someone is kind of iffy about your GSD playing with their dog...get him out of there, doesn't matter if what he's doing is acceptable to you, its clearly bothering someone. What's wrong with redirecting and letting him play with the other dogs there?
I think this is where we will have to disagree Maybe we are one two ends of the spectrum here because my dog trainers/vet encourage large breeds to play with small dogs and vice versa. If they don't socialize with different sizes they can develop fears of specific sizes. Her greyhound didn't appear afraid but her throwing herself in the middle of it like a frantic wacko IS going to make him question if playing with this dog is safe.
vrosa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

No, she's not going to get her dog to question anything. Her dog is going to see that the owner will protect that dog no matter what.

You're clearly posting this to get acknowledgement and agreement that the lady is crazy and that you and your dog are in the right. If you look up my started threads, you'll see I started one exactly like this 3 years ago when according to me my dog was playing perfectly fine with another dog and their owner didn't like it. I got just as defensive as you did, but now I know I was in the wrong. What you just posted says, you could care less how the other owner feels about your dog playing with their dog, because your trainer/vet says you should let your dog play with all those types of dogs.

I don't allow my dog to play with smaller dogs because it takes seconds for the smaller dog to get freaked out, snap at my dog, and then have my dog snap back at it. When a GSD snaps at a smaller dog...its probably not going to end well. BTW, my dog is not afraid of dogs of any size. It really doesn't matter how big the dog is, your dog is more powerful than most, your breed is known for being dangerous, and I'm thinking your dog is young (under a year) so you probably haven't witnessed him mature and snap yet. I was in your shoes...so I'm not judging you or your dog. I thought I was going to have a really sweet dog that would play with anything as well, I let him play with all sorts of dogs. Then he turned one, matured, and started running the dog park. So the moment a small dog decided to stand up for itself, or got a little bit snippy...guess who wasn't backing down anymore? And trust me...no one is going to care that the yorki snapped at your GSD first when your GSD has the yorki's head in its mouth.

I'm not saying you have a bad dog...I actually think you have a great dog and he clearly enjoys the park at this point in his life. It's the other dogs that should worry you and so you shouldn't get mad at other owners for not wanting your dog to play with theirs. One day, something will snap at your dog, and he'll react. If he reacts at something his size/girth...it won't be a big problem. If he reacts to something small...well who knows?
Old 12-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
No, she's not going to get her dog to question anything. Her dog is going to see that the owner will protect that dog no matter what.

You're clearly posting this to get acknowledgement and agreement that the lady is crazy and that you and your dog are in the right.
Actually Im not. If you read below you can see that I openly took advice from the other posters. I think you are misreading my responses of confusion as being defensive. All im saying is that ive been taught differently about socializing. But from what your saying my dog 'could' snap at any given moment at a small dog..and if thats the case no training will ever help that....furthermore if what your saying is true, then whats to stop him from one day eating my cat whom he is scared currently of? Surely the thousands of people that own cats and large dogs don't end up with dead cats..
Old 12-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Actually Im not. If you read below you can see that I openly took advice from the other posters. I think you are misreading my responses of confusion as being defensive. All im saying is that ive been taught differently about socializing. But from what your saying my dog 'could' snap at any given moment at a small dog..and if thats the case no training will ever help that....furthermore if what your saying is true, then whats to stop him from one day eating my cat whom he is scared currently of? Surely the thousands of people that own cats and large dogs don't end up with dead cats..
Snapping is in the sense that he will react to something the other animal does. Not a random, out of no where, I'm going to attack X...but a, this dog just bit my front foot and I didn't like it today snap.

And yes, I did see you take the advice of those that agreed with you about the lady and just told you to avoid dog parks in their entirety. They seconded your opinion of the situation and her but just advised you avoid the dog park.

It's fine that you think this is the proper way to socialize. What I am seeing is that you have no problem FORCING your socialization on people that don't want you using THEIR dog to socialize YOUR dog. I have no problem with you socializing your dog with that 15lbs playmate, that person has clearly agreed that its fine to play. But in the case of this greyhound...the owner didn't want your dog interacting with their dog, plain and simple. There were more than likely other signs of this, like the owner calling her dog away from yours, which you probably didn't realize because you were busy not "stalking" your dog.

Last edited by martemchik; 12-23-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

I think that goes back to my initial statement that this is a public dog park with 2 separate sections. This dog was in the large dog area so it is to be expected that LARGE dogs are going to play with him which was the point of my initial post. If my dog was in the small dog pen and was bothering another, then of course I would go fetch him without thinking twice because that is not his designated play area. She brought a large dog into a large dog pen, while the "Play at your own risk" sign is plastered everywhere.

Quote:
It's fine that you think this is the proper way to socialize. What I am seeing is that you have no problem FORCING your socialization on people that don't want you using THEIR dog to socialize YOUR dog...in the case of this greyhound...the owner didn't want your dog interacting with their dog, plain and simple.
And again I have to say, if you don't want your dog to socialize, don't bring it to a park. I didn't force it on anyone, however she had no problem dictating who was allowed to play with who.

This thread is going no where I see Im not trying to "win votes" or rally against the crazy dog owner at the park, I came to ask for a second opinion and I got it from several view points. But with your statements I have to disagree, that is all.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
I think that goes back to my initial statement that this is a public dog park with 2 separate sections. This dog was in the large dog area so it is to be expected that LARGE dogs are going to play with him which was the point of my initial post. If my dog was in the small dog pen and was bothering another, then of course I would go fetch him without thinking twice because that is not his designated play area. She brought a large dog into a large dog pen, while the "Play at your own risk" sign is plastered everywhere.
And it also says any aggressive behavior won't be tolerated. We all have different levels of what we consider play and what we consider aggressive. Play at your own risk does not mean that you should allow the other dogs to do anything they want to your dog. It means you're allowed to protect your dog if you deem it necessary. It's pretty much legal jargon for..."If another dog hurts or kills your dog, the owners of the dog park are not responsible." It's pretty much signing a release form.

You are criticizing her for protecting her dog. She didn't like the way your dog was doing something, and she told you about it. I don't disagree that from your description your dog was likely doing nothing wrong...the wrong thing is trying to say that she's completely insane and off-base in the way she acted.

My dog enjoys playing by mouthing the back of other dog's necks. He has no problem throwing them onto the ground/pinning/wresting ect. Would you like it if he was doing that to your dog and I just stood there thinking it was normal play? Just told you, well...he's not growling, barking, and I see no blood...so its just play!

Think of it this way...

If this was a HUMAN park and you were there with your family having a picnic, not bothering anyone, in the middle of a large field. I showed up with my buddies and started a game of football where the center of our field was your picnic area. How would you feel? Should I just tell you that its a public park and that I can do whatever I want?

Your question was about etiquette...and etiquette says...if the other person doesn't want their dog interacting with your dog, you respect their wishes and back your dog away from theirs. It's that simple. Clearly there is enough room at that dog park for you to go to a separate area and do something else with your dog.

Last edited by martemchik; 12-23-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.