8.5w puppy weighs 5 pounds! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy 8.5w puppy weighs 5 pounds!

Hi, Django is my new male german shepherd! I don't know much about dogs. He is my very first puppy!! So I readed a lot! ...and I found the unfamous growth charts!

He weights like a 2 weeks old puppy or even less!! This is not possible. Maybe he is not as older as the breeder told us. We got him on december 5th. On december, 10th his weigh was 1.8kgs and today it was 2.25kg.

Since we got him, he hasn't eat much. The vet said it was because we changed the brand of the dog fry food (from royal canin to affinity baby protect). The truth is that our puppy would rather starve to death before eating the dry food. He even ate his own poop!

We have being experimenting with different brands and types of food to get our puppy to eat. But we only got him a very disgusting diahrrea with every change. Now we are trying boiled chiken breast. The vet said it would open his apettite. And it worked amazingly!! But he still has the diahrrea, and he still won't eat the dry food.

I susppect that the breeder may have lied to us, so he could send us the puppy. I am very worried. I don't want to ruin his growth by not feeding him correctly. But I don't wan't to change his food again. I'm afraid he continues having diahrrea. I think that could stop him from gaining weigh. Or even worst, it could make him lose some.

How can I tell how old is my puppy without considering the weigh? I'll be glad to offer more information if needed, or pictures!

Thanks!

Pd. I can feel his ribs. But I can't tell is they feel sharp or normal.
libesantiago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

cooked scrambled eggs mixed in with the soaked dry food may help trigger his appetite....slowly take away the eggs and mix dry w/ soaked(but don't let it sit out) Stay in contact with the vet...worms are a given in puppies so he needs a couple of treatments.
Dehydration from diarrhea can kill a puppy quickly.

I would be cautious where you take him, his immune system is probably compromised.

Where are you located(US or Chile?)
Old 12-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via MSN to CelticGlory

I would put him back on the food he was on, add some canned food as well (1-2 tablespoons) and mix well, to coat all of the kibble. You can also moisten the food as well to see if he will eat. I never heard of the food you put him on before.

If you are worried about dehydration as well, you can do a 50/50 of water and pedialyte.

CelticGlory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi, thanks for answering so soon! We are from Barcelona, Spain. Our puppy drinks a lot of water. I know dehydratation won't be a problem, there is pee pee everywhere all the time! We only take the puppy out it his bag, he has never ever touched the floor outside. We are waiting for him to get all his vaccinations. He'll get the last one around january, 20th. Also, he has a lot of sharp strong teeth and he is very playfull. It looks and acts like a perfectly healthy puppy. Except for the weigh and eating issues.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Most pups start teething around 16 weeks, and the coat changes around that same age(starting with the spine/fur becomes shiny there). You won't really know the pups true age until that begins. If you see it happening late, you'll know the breeder probably fibbed on the whelp-date.
If you over feed he'll get runny poop too, so feed 3 meals a day and around the same age(16 weeks) is when I go down to two mealtimes a day with a midnight snack to keep the gut from developing too much digestive juice.
If you have to vaccinate for rabies, make sure you do it 2 weeks separate from the other jabs. There are many threads about vaccinations/diet and other young puppy stuff in these threads. Happy reading!
Please take some pics, puppy photo's are mandatory!!
Old 12-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Food the puppy has tried and results:

1. Royal Canin: that was what the breeder told us. Don't know much about it. The first poop he made was ok, healthy, i think.

2. Affinity Baby Protect: puppy ate just a little bit. Way too little.

Some treats: He loved them!!! Maybe be we gave him too many andhe got diahrrea. We remove them and only feed him kibbles from affinity but he didn't eat them. We went to the vet.

3. Canned Food Science Diet mixed with kibbles. He won't eat it!

4. Canned Food Science Diet mixed with kibbles and warm water: he drank the water.

Affinity Advance Puppy Treats: he loved them to death! Diahrrea again and back to the vet.

5. Special Canned Food for Diahrrea from Science Diet (SCFDSD): puppy loved it and ate it! But we can't feed him with this forever.

6. SCFDSD mixed with kibbles: puppy ate the canned food and forgot the kibbles.

First Vaccinations and welcome present from the vet: free bag of Science Diet dry food for larg breed puppies!

7. Affinity dry food: nothing.

8. Science Diet Kibbles: liked them, but didnt eat enough.

9. Affinity kibbles mixed with Science Diet kibbles: didn't eat much, only the Science Diet ones.

We're trying here to make him like the affinity kibbles since we've got him 15kg of it!! The free bag of Science Diet brings only 0.7kg.

During the vaccination, the vet suggested the boiled chiken breast if the puppy still refuses to eat, so...

8. Boiled Chiken Breats: puppy went complety crazy! He ate 0.5g of it in one day! But he still hates the affinity kibbles and only eats tiny amunts of Science Diet kibbles.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Photos are mandatory

Django!
Attached Thumbnails
8.5w puppy weighs 5 pounds!-image.jpg  
Old 12-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

If he is younger then they said, the dry kibble may be too hard for him to eat! Can you try moistening the dry food with either water, or maybe some chicken or beef stock?
blueangele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Science diet has fillers, I would not want him on that. Go raw(or home-cooked) if you can, the raw forums are full of information. If there are limited kibble availabilities, raw would be my choice.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Your pup has actually had a bunch of different foods/treats in a short period of time. That can cause diarrhea. Stick with one until he is back to normal. It may take some additional wormings also for the diarrhea to subside.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.