German Shepherds Forum banner

Lola is driving me crazy.

913 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Jelpy 
#1 ·
First of all, I absolutely LOVE and adore her. She's seriously awesome.

But yesterday all the snow melted and today we have a flood warning. Our yard is a complete watery mess. Now she will not use the bathroom outside. She would always pee as soon as I took her out. Now, it takes forever if she does go. She just stands there looking at me or lays down.

Today she peed in the house and was looking for a place to poop so I hurried up and took her out. 25 minutes later, nothing. So I brought her in and crated her. Yesterday she did the same thing, but I didn't crate after she didn't go outside and she pooped in our family room. My mistake, I know.

Anyhow, I don't know what to do. She's not afraid of the grass, as she'll lay in the puddles and run around. So I know that isn't the issue.

I give her treats for going outside and I don't get after her for going in the house.

#2 ·
I feel you. We have the same problem in tropical storm season (hurricanes). The rain comes in bands and you have to be quick to pee and get back inside. Maybe you could pour a bag of sand or kitty litter in one spot for her to use outside where it won't get so wet. Raina loves to be wet but I don't love her to be wet when she comes in the house!

#3 ·
Ugh I feel you. One night we had a snowstorm and warden woke me up because he had to poo (for the 3rd time that night bc he wasn't feeling well), after I got bundled and took him out he just stood there for ages - being that I was exhausted and standing in the snow at 4am, I almost lost it lol.

They do test us sometimes don't they? Wish I had some advice for you :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
"She's not afraid of the grass, as she'll lay in the puddles and run around."

Run around like this ??? Not sure if my gal likes the flooded backyard????

Picture was from March, April 2013...she was still just a puppy.

She was reluctant to take care of her pooping in this situation, so I would just walk her around the park until she took care of her business.....no big deal.

SuperG

Attachments

#5 ·
When I was a kid my parents had a toolhouse in the backyard that was used often enough that they decided to pour a concrete path for bad weather etc.

Once I let my sheltie, Babykins (long story short-his whole litter died and we thought he was going to as well-auto immune problems etc-so we didn't want to give him a name to get too attached. He was two before we realized he was going to make it and by that time 'Baby" had stuck) Anyway, I let Baby out to do his business. Much to my surprise, he came back without a track of mud on his paws, just a bit of water. I couldn't figure it out until I saw him a few days later: He would keep all four paws on the sidewalk and ease his butt over the grass so that the poop would fall where it was supposed to while he kept his little footsies clean.

This was the first time I realized my dog was smarter than me.

Jelpy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.