German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Worried my pup is too small to be a GS! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/384634-worried-my-pup-too-small-gs.html)

samm 12-21-2013 04:40 AM

Worried my pup is too small to be a GS!

2 Attachment(s)
I got my puppy a few weeks ago and according to the breeder she's a full pedigree GSD but she just seems way to small to be one.. After taking her to the vets they said she was too young to tell her definite breed but she does look like a GS.. Her age is also in dispute after being told by the completely unreliable breeder that she's 6 weeks and could be taken from her mother as she bit one of the pups and drew blood but the vet said she seems much younger..
When I got the pup she was only 1.4kg and in 2 weeks we've got her up to 2.3kg so her weights going up slowly..
Anyone any advice on how to help her weight increase?
Attachment 152442
Sam :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

sarah1366 12-21-2013 05:21 AM

My mum bred gsd that pup looks about 3 to 4 weeks at most and breeder certainly shouldn't have sold her on that young saying g that I got duped with my pup romany was told was gsd meant be 9 weeks got her home not only could she not eat for herself but was smaller than my cat vet said was around 4 to 6 week at most luckily cause I was my mums kennel maid she trained me to hand rear pups as sometimes mum rejected them and how to wean pups too so finished off hand rearing g romany and she turned out be gsd x belgian shepherd so in turn very protective but wouldn't part with her for the world

sarah1366 12-21-2013 05:25 AM

Try giving substitute milk goats milk is rich In everything also maybe raw chicken tripe and beef rabbit any them will help weight wise she's pretty though

carmspack 12-21-2013 06:38 AM

the dog doesn't look underweight or thin -- she is just small

this does not look like a GSD . you say the breeder was unreliable in regards to giving you facts about the dogs age ? --- probably unreliable goes further about the mother and father of the pup -

dawnandjr 12-21-2013 08:10 AM

Could be 6 wks old. But not GS puppy of 6 wks old.

GSDlover143 12-21-2013 01:23 PM

gsdx

Definitely not a GSD puppy... Also looks very young. And looks normal for any puppy that age. Cute though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by samm (Post 4705890)
I got my puppy a few weeks ago and according to the breeder she's a full pedigree GSD but she just seems way to small to be one.. After taking her to the vets they said she was too young to tell her definite breed but she does look like a GS.. Her age is also in dispute after being told by the completely unreliable breeder that she's 6 weeks and could be taken from her mother as she bit one of the pups and drew blood but the vet said she seems much younger..
When I got the pup she was only 1.4kg and in 2 weeks we've got her up to 2.3kg so her weights going up slowly..
Anyone any advice on how to help her weight increase?
Attachment 152442
Sam :)

Wild Wolf 12-21-2013 02:28 PM

It doesn't look like a German Shepherd puppy to me, not at all.. the only similarity is the colour... sort of. Beautiful sweet looking puppy, I guess a very young medium breed.. see hound dog in there... can't be sure, could be a GSD mix.

wolfy dog 12-21-2013 02:58 PM

Her head looks more that of a Miniature Pincher cross. If true she should be correct on age.

KZoppa 12-21-2013 03:03 PM

definitely not a GSD.

SuperG 12-21-2013 03:32 PM

samm,

Doesn't look like a typical GSD puppy but what would I know?

This much I do know...she's a tremendously cute little pup that is going to become your best friend and I am a bit envious you get to have all the thrills and frustrations of having a little ball of fur looking up to you. I only say "frustrations" because all too many of us ( I believe ) go through these trials and tribulations while we raise and connect with our new pups. But this time is a fleeting moment in the big picture. So, whatever your little furry gal grows into, she will be your buddy for life.

Make the most of it,

SuperG