How many of you didn't get your dog from a reputable breeder? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default How many of you didn't get your dog from a reputable breeder?

I actually did not, but I ended up taking by boy from these people who did not take care for him at all. After staring into his little eyes almost looking as if he was telling me to take him. I just couldn't walk away. He was highly underweight, full of muck and grime.. I asked the man if he had been feeding him and he just rolled his eyes at me. Very scared and timid I got him at 9 weeks of age. I was not intentionally looking for a German Shepherd Dog even though they have been my favorite breed for years! I did not like the man he was with. But I'm glad he is now 35 pounds of happy and perfectly healthy pup! I knew my possible consequences But I didn't care I just wanted to give him a loving home to grow up in.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
How many of you didn't get your dog from a reputable breeder?-1387118924368.jpg   How many of you didn't get your dog from a reputable breeder?-1387118938410.jpg   How many of you didn't get your dog from a reputable breeder?-1387118947654.jpg  
GSDlover143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDlover143 View Post
I actually did not, but I ended up taking by boy from these people who did not take care for him at all. After staring into his little eyes almost looking as if he was telling me to take him. I just couldn't walk away. He was highly underweight, full of muck and grime.. I asked the man if he had been feeding him and he just rolled his eyes at me. Very scared and timid I got him at 9 weeks of age. I was not intentionally looking for a German Shepherd Dog even though they have been my favorite breed for years! I did not like the man he was with. But I'm glad he is now 35 pounds of happy and perfectly healthy pup! I knew my possible consequences But I didn't care I just wanted to give him a loving home to grow up in.

Attached Thumbnails
How many of you didn't get your dog from a reputable breeder?-1387119079356.jpg  
GSDlover143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Neither one of my dogs came from a reputable, ethical breeder.

My mix came from a pet store that was selling her on consignment for $25. She was 5 weeks old when we got her. Her "breeder" was probably a farmer that was too cheap or lazy to spay his female but at least had the decency not to drown the puppies.

My Shih Tzu came from to me indirectly from a puppymill. She was sold to her first owner at 4 weeks. I got her at 5 months when her first owner gave up on housebreaking.
angelas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Our last came from a BYB at least "trying" to do the right thing and did love the dogs. She was healthy. The pup before that did NOT. A young couple in financial trouble who's dog got pregnant.... Without going into too much detail, I had control of mom and the 10 pups until they went to prospective owners. I Kept one as well. I tried to keep up with them all the best I could but eventually lost touch with all of them. Mine lived to be about 15. Not bad for a large breed GSD.
Sp00ks is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Got ours from a well-intentioned BYB... Wish I had done more research before-hand into reputable breeders. She has shown a little aggression, just to strangers on walks, but other than that we're very happy with her and I wouldn't give her up for the world!
macy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Echo is from a BYB who had good intentions and loved his dogs. He's a nerve-bag riddled with health problems and is a stellar example of what's wrong with uneducated breeding. That being said, he's also my heart dog and I love him more than anything. He's come a long way but in the wrong hands could have lead a very sad existence.
LoveEcho is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

The only gsd I got from a disreputable breeder was a rescue..She was a 'freebie', well actually she was a foster failure that turned out to be one of the best dogs I"ll ever have had the pleasure of sharing my life with. She ended up with OCD (knees), however, that girl gave me/taught me more than I'll ever know.

I won't support byb'ers disreputable breeders monetarily. I feel terrible for the puppies/dogs out there, but I just won't support those people with money

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

all of mine were pound hounds or, in one case, a literal happy accident.

Jelpy
Old 12-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

We got Quincy from a rescue group. The breeder decided she did not want to be a breeder any more. And knowing how much weight he needed to gain being only 45lbs at 15 months I would guess she wasn't the best. Breeder around. But he has gained weight and confidence. When we got him he was fearful of a lot of things but has gotten over most of those things!

klburen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My first dog came out of the newspaper. The second and third from rescue. The 4th out of the desert 5, 6, and 7th from a hobby breeder, the next from a shelter then a rescue then the shelter again. I've never got a dog from one of the big breeders although my current rescue is from a well known WGSL breeder.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.