Oh Christmas kong oh Christmas kong - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Oh Christmas kong oh Christmas kong

Alright guys Christmas is around the corner and with a new puppy in the house I would like to hear your best toy recommendations!? Be specific mentally stimulating physically stimulating doesn't matter! Just good for development or just plain fun for all! What do your GSD likes? What was a god send when they were pups? Tis the season for a gift that keeps on giving!
Hollyjolly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I bought my pup a Kong Squeezz Stick when he was 10 or 12 weeks old. At 8 months, he still plays with it and it STILL squeaks! He love loves a flirt pole and they are very easy to make yourself. I just used a horse lunge whip for mine and tied a stuffless stuffed animal on the end. He loves to play fetch. I use softballs (prob too big for a young pup). He likes his Kong that I fill with a mixture of a broken dog biscuit (Blue Buffalo banana & yogurt), about 1/4 cup of his food and pure pumpkin. I then freeze it so it lasts longer. He loves his rope tug as well.

We hide one of his toys and have him look for it in another room. He finds that great fun. I also made some scent boxes out of shoe boxes and hide a treat in one and scatter them in a room and let him search out the correct box.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyjolly View Post
Alright guys Christmas is around the corner and with a new puppy in the house I would like to hear your best toy recommendations!? Be specific mentally stimulating physically stimulating doesn't matter! Just good for development or just plain fun for all! What do your GSD likes? What was a god send when they were pups? Tis the season for a gift that keeps on giving!
JW balls are awesome. They last a long time and my Shepherds love them.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

cuz - Dino shaped ones the favorite here....the squeeking makes you crazy but they kill the squeekers sooner than later...Cuz makes some different toys and they hold up pretty well - but mine have killed lots of them through the years

most kinds of balls....stuffed toys usually get disemboweled pretty quickly....but they love them! I like the everlasting green balls...they come in a couple of sizes....used to use Planet Dog balls, but they seem to have disappeared from the market - I see them in photos here and there but I don't seem to have many left from the couple dozen I bought through the years....

Flirt poles are great - a buggy whip works better than a lunge whip...the flexible part is much shorter so you have more control over it...the lunge whip has a foot or more of line and is much longer in the shaft...farm supply stores in the horse equipment section....

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

The flirt pole is Shikha's favorite toy. We bought it on Amazon (made by Squishy Face). 5-10 minutes of this, and she sleeps for two hours! She started at 8 weeks, and at 15 weeks, she hasn't destroyed it. And she will do anything for it. It rests in a five gallon bucket with her outdoor toys. She walks quietly over to the bucket, sits, and stares and stays until I get int out and tell her "okay." I hardly had to teach her these manners; she practically taught herself. She also likes West paw glow inthe dark frisbee. Her favorite ball is a baseball we found in the bushes. The flirt pole is our go-to toy when the weather is bad & we need to take her out for quick playtime. When she was really small, she like the Wooly Fun ball & figure eight toys indoor, but always supervise with those. (They can tear off chunks of wool and swallow it). Indoor she also loves the West Paw squeaky bone and their soft frisbee. She hasn't destroyed either of them. They are well made.
Her favorite chew is V-dog breath bones. She had the small the first few weeks, then started the large at about eleven weeks. They smell wonderful, too! She doesn't damage much of anything, and I think these chews are the reason why. She goes through one in about a day. Worth every penny. Good luck and happy shopping!Oh Christmas kong oh Christmas kong-imageuploadedbypg-free1386864451.422306.jpg here's Shikha right now enjoying her breathbone and nylabone she got yesterday for her fifteen week celebration.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
VanH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Good Cuz ,bad cuz any cuz . Stood up to Lucky as a young dog and Daisy never destroyed i tother then the squeaker. Kongs are great as well . Both toys have survived the attack of the lawn mowers over the years.

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

For those who might not know like me. Lol I googled the Cuz balls and they are the JW balls. Same company.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

We have raised 3 dogs now on the Hartz teething bone. Looks like a nylabone with a rubber insert. Now they are all bacon flavored etc. We always used the unflavored. Into adulthood they would pull the bone out of the toybox and chew on it from time to time.

We are about to start our 4th pup on one in a couple weeks.
Sp00ks is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

These are great guys! And affordable! How did you make the handles on your flirt poles? PVC pipe? Holly is going to have a great Christmas! Btw I hadn't heard of a flirt pole until this so it was a big help! Whether we build or buy I think it's a must have after looking into it! And the jw and cuz balls will look great in stocking on Christmas morning! I think everything mentioned will probably make it under the tree!
Hollyjolly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

If you opt not to use a buggy/horse whip (easily available at most feed type stores), you can make it out of PVC. I think if you do a search there's some posts about home made ones.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.