German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Bringing puppy home - car question (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/379385-bringing-puppy-home-car-question.html)

ScousePete 12-10-2013 03:38 PM

Bringing puppy home - car question

I get to pick up our puppy this weekend, very excited! The breeder we selected is a five-hour drive from home. We plan to drive up the night before, stay in a hotel and pick up the puppy early the next morning and have a leisurely drive home.

My question is, how is the best way to travel in the car with the pup? I have a 48" Midwest life-stage crate in the house (divide, of course!), I'm not sure if that will fit in the car or will be the best idea. Should I buy a smaller travel crate? Does she need to be a crate? There will be 2 of us, so one of us could sit in the back with her.

Did any of you have a long drive with your new 8 week pup? What did you do?

Thanks!

pjvie 12-10-2013 03:44 PM

Interested in the comments; I will be experiencing the exact same thing in 4 weeks!

Okin 12-10-2013 03:59 PM

When we picked up our puppy I drove and my wife held it in her lap and we put a blanket and towels on the floor of the car in between her feet for it to sleep on. Also that way if it has an accident or gets sick it can get on the towel. I would probably expect to stop and let the puppy out pretty often at that age they tend to need to go once an hour if not more.

Jax08 12-10-2013 07:24 PM

Bring lots of paper towels and a spray bottle with soapy water or just water/vinegar. Make sure the crate a hard side or you have something to cover it (helps with car sickness if they don't see the world going by). if you have any ginger root candy bring that. it might help to give him one before you leave.

Definitely use a crate and place it where you can put your hands thru the door to comfort her. A smaller one would be better. I know I dont' get car sick in the front but do in teh back. It just rides differently.

Good luck! I got almost home with my Seger before there was a mess coming out both ends. Poor little guy just doesn't travel well.

DutchKarin 12-10-2013 08:01 PM

I picked up my pup in WA and then spent the night at friends and the following day drove 10 hours home. ;-) I used a crate and he did fabulous. I think it WAS so hot outside (OR and CA central valley) that he was so happy to get back in the cool car that ever since then has been great at crating. If the large crate doesn't fit I would get a cardboard box too just to stick him in when he is tired of being held. Bring cleaning supplies and rags that you can rub on mom to make the box or crate feel more at home. Don't buy a crate though ... maybe a friend has one you can borrow? Good luck and enjoy the pup.

Kovinator 12-10-2013 08:06 PM

Had a similar long ride when I picked up my boy. We had him in the back in a crate. After a little while, he was crying and had gotten car sick.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Kovinator 12-10-2013 08:10 PM

Oops hit send too soon...anyway, I ended up letting my wife drive and held him on my lap. He calmed down and was excellent the rest of the way. As long as you have another person to tend to the dog while the other drives, some towels, something to clean any messes, some food/water, should be good. Good luck!

Liesje 12-10-2013 08:16 PM

Yes, same distance. I used a small kennel. My next puppy is coming home in 2 weeks and has a 10 hour ride. You could borrow a cat carrier from someone if you'd rather not buy a second kennel. However the puppy kennel does come in handy depending on how you plan to socialize. I take my new pups somewhere new once a day for the first few weeks, so they not only get socialized but get crate training riding around in the car in that kennel.

mycobraracr 12-10-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liesje (Post 4651401)
Yes, same distance. I used a small kennel. My next puppy is coming home in 2 weeks and has a 10 hour ride. You could borrow a cat carrier from someone if you'd rather not buy a second kennel. However the puppy kennel does come in handy depending on how you plan to socialize. I take my new pups somewhere new once a day for the first few weeks, so they not only get socialized but get crate training riding around in the car in that kennel.

I do this same thing. So the small kennels are handy to have around are fairly cheap.

I drove cross country with one puppy at 9 weeks, and 500 mile one way trips with two other puppies at 9 weeks. I'm a fan of the small kennel. Also be careful where you stop to let the puppy out. The less populated the better. I stay clear of big rest stops and dog areas incase of disease my puppy isn't vaccinated from yet.

MyHans-someBoy 12-10-2013 08:38 PM

I was thinking back to when my husband and I picked up his cow dog when she was about 3 months old. They knew when we were coming to get her and for some reason went ahead and fed her well just before we got there.

Well, of course she threw all of that food up on the way home and seemed pretty miserable the whole trip.

She is 4 years old now and still isn't real thrilled about car trips.

Maybe ask that your pup not be fed right before the trip home?