12 week puppy showing aggression - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 12 week puppy showing aggression

Our family just got a 12 week old puppy today. We have a very well behaved 6 year old dog at home (that we have had since she was a puppy.) The older dog is fixed.

When we brought our new dog home today she was growl bark and lunge at our older dog who is about the same size as the puppies mother. Please if you have idea advice or help I would appreciate it.

Thank you
palmerpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

could be playing.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Agree - this doesn't sound like aggression.
My pups will do this with the adults to initiate play. If puppy is too rough, gently correct by redirecting the pup or allow the pup out separately until it is more mature. Just because your older dog is the same size as the mother does not mean the pup will automatically defer to the older dog.

Watch that the older dog does not correct the pup and do not assume dogs will work it out amongst each other. One rough swipe from the older dog can result in a broken shoulder or arm - be careful when letting pups and adults out at the same time.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

two "shes" can sometimes be a problem. introduce them slowly. don't leave them alone together for quite some time. make sure the puppy does not bother the older dog. watch them closely until you are absolutely, totally, sure they will not fight. if you have two alpha girls you might have a problem. be careful. take care, welcome to the board.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

It's play behavior from a 12 week old puppy. That's how they 'invite' the other dog to play. Sounds horrific sometimes and my pups tend to then start the 'Puppy on the Head' game. Many adult dogs do NOT enjoy this, will not play back, causing MORE frustration and increased barking/jumping from the pup.

Too bad they put the music in this cause that puppy is being LOUD

TRUTHFULLY, it's not the puppy you need to worry about. It's the adult dog. They are the one that if not 100% on board with this puppy can snap and injure/kill it. The puppy may be obnoxious, may be a pain in the behind, may be LOUD and have sharp teeth, but at 12 weeks old you are only seeing play behavior.

This is why we socialize and train our older dog(s) before ever adding a puppy so we know how they will behave. Then we use crates, baby gates, closed doors to give that older dog a break if needed.

PLUS, it's OUR job to exercise and play with the puppy. Not my older dog(s). So if they don't enjoy the puppy then I need to be vigilant and grab the toys to play. Take the puppy out of the house for classes/exercise/socialization. It's MY job to entertain the pup, my older dog didn't get a vote when it came to adding a puppy to the house.

Good luck.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ha ha nice videos. GSD puppies by adult dog standards have no manners, and always try to push their limits as well as their chances. I'd recommend wearing the puppy down some first before introducing them to adult dogs in the house hold under 100% supervision.

Let the adult decide when it should be over. My lab wanted nothing to do with the puppy till he was 4-5 months old had picked up some manners and then they started to play together. I still keep them mostly separated although they get a long great now.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.