German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   An adequate size fence for our front yard? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/377353-adequate-size-fence-our-front-yard.html)

Alli.baby 12-06-2013 04:15 PM

An adequate size fence for our front yard?

Hey yall. We live on the bayou front in Louisiana. It's much easier for us to put a fence in our front yard for Ally. Not completely fence it in, but fence off about half the yard for her. Does anyone have any ideas or know where we can get a decent price on pet fencing? We'd really appreciate it! Thanks alot!:)
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Sp00ks 12-06-2013 04:27 PM

We just used 4' chain link and got it from one of the big box stores.

If you have some type of Ag supply in the area, I would start there. I have used 6' cattle fencing but that was for more of a large pen than fencing the front yard.

Lilie 12-06-2013 04:50 PM

I have a 4' chain link fence and run a hot wire on top, just in case one of the dogs decides to try it's luck.

Harry and Lola 12-06-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alli.baby (Post 4626001)
Hey yall. We live on the bayou front in Louisiana.

Is this the place where you have lots of alligators and creepy things? :eek:

Sp00ks 12-06-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry and Lola (Post 4626217)
Is this the place where you have lots of alligators and creepy things? :eek:

Those are in the back yard :)

TAR HEEL MOM 12-06-2013 08:00 PM

Hot wire? Explain please :) I never leave my guys in the fenced dog yard when I leave the house (even for a few minutes) because I live in fear that Tar will finally figure out how easily he could jump my 4' fence :) I have wisteria planted all along the new sections and when it grows in good it adds a leafy bushy foot or two to the fence, but that may take a while.

Mikey von 12-06-2013 11:54 PM

My past two GSDs would easily clear a 6' fence. Kaya, the more athletic one, would get over 8 footers in her younger years. We now live in the sticks just outside of town, we are in the process of installing a radio fence for Kimber.

doggiedad 12-07-2013 12:00 AM

pet fencing, is that special fencing?? research in your area where
you can buy fencing. i wouldn't trust a 4' fence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alli.baby (Post 4626001)
Hey yall. We live on the bayou front in Louisiana. It's much easier for us to put a fence in our front yard for Ally. Not completely fence it in, but fence off about half the yard for her. Does anyone have any ideas or know where we can get a decent price on

>>>>> pet fencing? <<<<<

We'd really appreciate it! Thanks alot!:)

boomer11 12-07-2013 02:52 AM

i wouldnt trust a 4ft fence either. unless you own a 120 pound fat shepherd, it could easily clear a normal fence. i'd look into an electronic fence or at least an 8 ft fence. my theory is anything that you can jump over, a shepherd can definitely jump over.

JanaeUlva 12-07-2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilie (Post 4626209)
I have a 4' chain link fence and run a hot wire on top, just in case one of the dogs decides to try it's luck.

Yep that's what I do. I learned that a dog can easily climb a 6ft fence so why spend the money for 6ft and have to run a hit wire too.