German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Patches on his head/face? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/377313-patches-his-head-face.html)

brookoser 12-06-2013 03:26 PM

Patches on his head/face?

3 Attachment(s)
Okay so I wanted to ask you guys if this is normal, when we adopted him two weeks ago he sort of had a little bit of hair missing on the top of his head. I noticed it when we got home. Now, he's starting to lose it around his eyes and sort of on his snout, not sure if you will be able to tell from the pictures. He does have a vet appointment tomorrow for a rabies shot, but I wanted to ask opinions on here, too. Thank you!

Oh and one note, the patch on his arm is where they ran the IV to neutered him at the rescue (not my choice, I think he's too young but they did it before we adopted)

Attachment 144569Attachment 144577Attachment 144585

Momto2GSDs 12-06-2013 03:50 PM

Could be mange, which isn't unusual for pups. Have your vet take a scraping when you go. Also take in a stool sample to make sure there are no worms in his system.
Dogs should not have any vaccinations when they have any type of health issues going on, which your sweet little guy does, so please reconsider until this is cleared up and he is healthy. Also, if he was neutered recently, his immune system has taken a hit which is another reason not to vaccinate now.
He is a cutie!
Moms :)

Harry and Lola 12-06-2013 05:09 PM

Talk to your vet about demodectic mange, some pups get this, usually their mother is a carrier. Harry got it when he was very young, he lost hair around his nose, we did a biopsy and confirmed it was this mange. There are different treatments, last time it flared up (when he was still quite young) I used Advocate which cleared it up. He has grown out of it now and hasn't had it for about 2 years.

GatorBytes 12-06-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs (Post 4625801)
Could be mange, which isn't unusual for pups. Have your vet take a scraping when you go. Also take in a stool sample to make sure there are no worms in his system.
Dogs should not have any vaccinations when they have any type of health issues going on, which your sweet little guy does, so please reconsider until this is cleared up and he is healthy. Also, if he was neutered recently, his immune system has taken a hit which is another reason not to vaccinate now.
He is a cutie!
Moms :)

And another reason why he has mange - if it is mange.

HE's a cutie...there is no need for pesticides to treat puppy mange. This is a symptom of stressed immune system, a weak immune system.

A good RAW diet should fix this up in couple weeks. Pesticides (ivermectin or any other HW/Flea/tick prevention) used in a puppy will only further hamper the I.S. Boost it instead with Bovine colostrum.

GSDlover143 12-06-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brookoser (Post 4625521)
Okay so I wanted to ask you guys if this is normal, when we adopted him two weeks ago he sort of had a little bit of hair missing on the top of his head. I noticed it when we got home. Now, he's starting to lose it around his eyes and sort of on his snout, not sure if you will be able to tell from the pictures. He does have a vet appointment tomorrow for a rabies shot, but I wanted to ask opinions on here, too. Thank you!

Oh and one note, the patch on his arm is where they ran the IV to neutered him at the rescue (not my choice, I think he's too young but they did it before we adopted)

Attachment 144569Attachment 144577Attachment 144585

Take him to the vet... could be mange

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

qbchottu 12-06-2013 05:58 PM

Sounds like puppy mange. Can take him to the vet for a scrape and treatment or help boost his immune system with high quality food and beneficial supplements like fish oil. Most will grow out of it.

Momto2GSDs 12-06-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorBytes (Post 4626345)
And another reason why he has mange - if it is mange.

HE's a cutie...there is no need for pesticides to treat puppy mange. This is a symptom of stressed immune system, a weak immune system.

A good RAW diet should fix this up in couple weeks. Pesticides (ivermectin or any other HW/Flea/tick prevention) used in a puppy will only further hamper the I.S. Boost it instead with Bovine colostrum.

Yes, this.

Also a combination of Essential Oils: Lavender oil mixed with a Carrier like Almond oil to be used topically for mange treatment. Apply to affected areas twice daily or alternate with lemon juice. You can use Colloidal Silver as a rotation too. This helps to kill the mites without the chemicals. A good immune support multiple to go along with the Colostrum is Immunplex by Standard Process: Moms:)

BowWowMeow 12-06-2013 08:14 PM

It's demodex. His immune system will take care of it on its own. I would not take him to the vet as they will likely prescribe ivermectin which is not at all necessary. There is a sticky in the Holistic section on how to treat demodex holistically. Rafi had it when I adopted him and it cleared within a few weeks.

KathrynApril 12-06-2013 08:43 PM

He's so adorable!

brookoser 12-06-2013 10:01 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses, a lot of you mentioned it will go away on it's own with a good diet.. so I'm going to give that a try! It makes me feel better..