Question about sables - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2013, 01:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question about sables

Hi guys, just picked up a new pup yesterday, a little 50/50 GSD/lab girl. Accidental litter when the neighbor's lab managed to get onto the property. Mom was a gorgeous sable GSD. Pup is 8-9 weeks old.

Thing is, she's got some brindle patterning going on in her coat. It also appears to me that it could be sable that hasn't fully transformed yet. I've seen pictures of young purebred sable pups that appear to be brindle, but become complete sables as they get a little older. I've never personally seen that in puppies older than a couple weeks, but I haven't had much exposure to sables so I'm wondering if anyone can give input on that. I know my first purebred black and tan shepherd boy went through some crazy coat transformations the first couple months of his life. It does seem more likely to me though that she'll retain her brindle.

I'm not going to debate genetics or the existence/non-existence of brindle shepherds, but I did some research on brindle labs and it appears to be a somewhat common mismark, although it's a recessive gene so I don't know.

The gentleman I got her from is as certain as one possibly could be in this type of situation that it was the neighbor's purebred black lab. His property is set out way in the middle of nowhere in the country and would be uncommon to spot any other dog. Although I obviously wouldn't 100% rule out there being a possible different father or even a multi-sired litter. Out of 13 pups, she's one of 2 that were brindled and the others looked exactly as you'd expect a GSD/lab mix to look.

A final thought being that the mother could possibly have a muddled pedigree with a dutchie somewhere in her lines. I know she was AKC, but being that I was getting a mix I didn't care to see her papers lol.

At any rate, she's cute as all get out. I know there's no certain way to tell, but I'm curious to hear opinions.

Question about sables-imageuploadedbypg-free1386313044.707158.jpgQuestion about sables-imageuploadedbypg-free1386313086.084210.jpgQuestion about sables-imageuploadedbypg-free1386313132.198437.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
jsca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2013, 04:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

this is Precious, my dads foster gsd/lab cross. she looked similar as a pup except all of the white. Very cute puppy you have there.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliejujubean View Post
this is Precious, my dads foster gsd/lab cross. she looked similar as a pup except all of the white. Very cute puppy you have there.
What a gorgeous dog! I wonder if her ears will look similar to hers, half up half down fashion, or if she'll have shepherd ears.

I'm so excited to see how she grows. The gentleman I got her from is really looking forward to it to, I told him I'd send him occasional picture updates. Being that she's from a farm-esque setting of an accidental litter I kind of worried how the owner would be before I met him, but he wound up being extremely knowledgeable about shepherds and a really great guy. His girl, the mama, was one of the most well adjusted, even tempered GSDs I've met.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

That's alot of white for a GSD or a Lab. If they didn't keep an eye on the bitch while she was in heat I'm wondering if more dogs didn't get in with her. Brindle and white is on alot of beautiful pitbulls too.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

I don't see any lab in her. I think she is going to be really really cute even as an adult. But I would venture to say something else got in with Mom. Also she will not be sable, she is brindle for sure. Post more pics as she grows, I am interested to see what she ends up like!

Khaleesi von Feuer- German Shepherd 2/3/2013
MilesNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
That's alot of white for a GSD or a Lab. If they didn't keep an eye on the bitch while she was in heat I'm wondering if more dogs didn't get in with her. Brindle and white is on alot of beautiful pitbulls too.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sable GSD puppies are usually light tan with a possible black stripe down their back. I've never seen one that could be mistaken for a brindle coat.

Your pup is definitely mixed with something, but I doubt it's a lab. It has to be something with brindle being very prominent to show up that prominent in the puppy. Also, there is a lot of white on that dog and neither GSD or lab generally carry that kind of white pattern.

Not that it matters but I wouldn't doubt that the mother was a pure GSD. I'd doubt that the sire was a lab. I know that genes don't disappear but it's very unlikely that an AKC registered GSD had some Dutch in her lines and it's only now coming out after mixing with a lab.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

She's super cute but she doesn't look like a shepherd/lab mix to me.
stmcfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I've only seen that coloring on pitbulls and great danes. Interested in what everyone says too. Super cute baby.

*-*Summer*-*
SummerGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Boxers as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerGSDLover View Post
I've only seen that coloring on pitbulls and great danes. Interested in what everyone says too. Super cute baby.

*-*Summer*-*
stmcfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.