Timid, shy 16 week old NEED HELP - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Timid, shy 16 week old NEED HELP

Background provided in order to get better more accurate advice. Thanks in advance.
Puppy was in transport from 11/8-11/11. Puppy was supposed to arrive on 11/9. Transport said puppy was shy when picked up? When puppy arrived at 1am on 11/11 puppy was extremely timid and scared. Tail tucked, shaking and did not want to leave transport at that time. Had major diarrhea which I took care of holistically. Cleared up in 4 days. [Stools have remained normal since treatment. Currently on ZiwiPeak Lamb dehydrated and 1 can of ZiwiPeak canned daily.] Puppy was afraid of everything then and is still afraid. Seems to be getting worse. Mind you, he's been here 3 weeks 3 days TODAY. His DOB is 8/15/2013 which makes him 16 weeks TODAY. He began loosing his baby teeth almost 2 1/2 weeks ago? At 16 weeks he weighs 48 pounds. He has NO drive. He is still very much fearful of us. Cowered when I put a leash on him and I just put a leash on him just 2 days ago for the first time since he's been here. He's super quiet in the house and literally stays in one spot which is the dog bed I bought him. If anyone walks in his direction and he's not on the bed he trots to the bed and gets on it quickly like it's base. He will not eat/drink when anyone is around him? He has plenty of toys but only carries a few favs around. He has no desire to come when called while in the home. If he's eating/drinking in the kitchen and the dishwasher kicks on then he hightails it to his bed. He's scared to death of the vacuum and not very fond of the television. He has bonded to NO ONE! The breeder told us it would take a month to acclimate now I could see if he were a rescue however this is suppose to be a well bred puppy. NOT! It's as though he's having a nervous break down. To be quite honest, this breeder has had a lot of stories. It took us 3 weeks to get his AKC limited registration. And I won't dare call her as she has been nothing but rude since this puppy arrived and has had nothing but excuses. In fact, she has 3 different names? IMHO, a puppy at 16 weeks should be well adjusted and fearless not shy, timid and fearful. We've had rescues in the past that were better adjusted than this puppy. Any suggestions? Please do NOT suggest sending him back as she's not going to give us our money so that's not an option. Plus side is he is completely housebroken and has not had one accident. He sleeps on his bed from 11pm until 7am.
Attached Thumbnails
Timid, shy 16 week old NEED HELP-photo-copy-9.jpg   Timid, shy 16 week old NEED HELP-photo.jpg   Timid, shy 16 week old NEED HELP-photo-copy-4.jpg   Timid, shy 16 week old NEED HELP-photo-copy-3.jpg   Timid, shy 16 week old NEED HELP-photo-copy.jpg  

Timid, shy 16 week old NEED HELP-photo-copy-2.jpg  
michgill751 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He's adorible. But he sounds like he has a crippling problem. You have some choices to make. I think that there are some links on here for help with shy dogs. You will need to build your puppy's confidence and possibley manage his environment carefully. A puppy that is this fearful is a candidate for being very reactive down the line, so you will want to get him out and about, around other people and dogs. At the same time, you want him to trust you completely, so you do not want to overwhelm him.

He seems to like his toys. Maybe he has some play drive you can build on.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah

Last edited by selzer; 12-05-2013 at 10:20 PM.
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Paging Mericel.
Baillif is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

What do you mean by "crippling disease?" The last dog that I came across like this puppy later was dx with HD :-(
Old 12-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I've raised a rescue with this issue before. I basically put her in a room with me and then I ignored her. I would have little slices of hotdog or something near me to encourage her to approach but if she did I wouldn't even glance her way. I would move slow, never square up to her, and usually I kept my back to her. She would do a lot of approach sniff retreat at first but then gradually got up the nerve to take a piece and then retreat to eat it. After a day or two she actually fell asleep on my legs while I was on my laptop on the floor and then took food outta my hands and we had enough trust at that point to condition against sounds and take the show out on the road. It was always a slow process and she was never 100% comfortable with strangers out in the world, but she was functional.

Last edited by Baillif; 12-05-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

She said "crippling problem", not disease.

An extremely timid puppy like this is alot of work and all baby steps. I too would use the toys he likes to try and play with him to start the bonding process. I wouldn't introduce any big stresses until I had a bond and felt puppy trusts you.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You pretty much have two things working in your favor in a situation like this. The fact the puppy needs food and water and that it instinctively desires interaction with a "packmate" for survival sake. Just don't force things take it slow and let the pup warm up to you on its own. Keep any attempt the puppy makes to get near you positive.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgill751 View Post
What do you mean by "crippling disease?" The last dog that I came across like this puppy later was dx with HD :-(
Temperament issues are every bit as crippling as structural abnormalities. A dog that is very fearful can become a liability if he becomes fear-reactive. And you may always have to manage his environment carefully.

They can be great pets though.

On the other hand, you have had him for three weeks, and he is not repsonding and bonding with anyone, it is not a good sign. He is a little older, but it should take days to adjust not weeks. Not for a four month old puppy.

I don't mean he will have trouble getting around. But he very may well have trouble getting around anything he thinks is scary, and anything new.

He's young. I don't like that he will not eat or take treats when anyone is around. I think you should read up on how to manage a shy dog. there's a book, Help for the Shy Dog, I think by Deborah Wood which is pretty good.

Then again, maybe your best bet is to invest in a good behaviorist/trainer.

With a pup this fearful, you will have to do all the socialization and you are already beyond the socialization period. This does not mean that he can't be socialized, it just means it will be a bit more difficult and take longer. With this pup who is afriad of typical and repeated household noises, it's going to be a challenge.

He is crippled in this sense. The question is, can you help him to find his legs.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

This is my dilemma, I have 9 year old twin boys with autism. The breeder assured me that this puppy was well bred and would be absolutely fine with them. I told her that they were very LOUD and stim (wave hands, flap dolls, etc.) When I first saw the puppy on the pedigree database, all I did was call and talk to the woman. The next thing you know she had the puppy at the vet faxing me a health certificate. My husband and I were a little taken back by this. We told her that there was no way the money would arrive by the time transport got there. She sent the puppy anyway. My husband, being a police officer, and I thought it to be very odd shipping a puppy w/o money. Puppy arrived on Monday early a.m. she had her money that Wednesday via FedEx only because we are honest. I can't throw my kids out because a so called "breeder" lied about a puppy's breeding/background. Any suggestions? He seems okay with our boys. Our one boy has sat next to him on his dog bed and he's mouthed him but no growling. He seems to tolerate our son but I certainly don't want a reactive dog biting my son either. The puppy has a tattoo in his ear, can I find out about his genetics through his tattoo and how? She never mentioned a tattoo? This is the third time in the last year we've been taken by a breeder. I don't think we'll be looking at GSD's from here on out as they seem far too overbred and the breeders we've dealt with have been off the wall crazy.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

A dog that fearful won't necessarily become a fear biter. They have to be cornered usually as the super scared ones almost always choose flight over fight. The socialization window has not closed. It never fully closes. The prime portion of socialization doesn't close for most pups till 5 months. There is still time it will just have to be extensive. Almost all your training energy must center around it.

It sounds like you bought from a breeder that doesn't socialize his pups at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.