Timid, shy 16 week old NEED HELP - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

i'm sorry that you got a pup with a crappy temperment. hes very handsome though! my friend had a golden retriever like this. it takes A LOT of patience and the dog has to always be managed. its never going to be the normal confident dog.

with that said, the fact that you received this pup is completely on you. the fact that you got screwed over by 3 different breeders is on you. i mean you gave your address to this lady. when the pup arrived you didnt have to sign for it. there were a bunch of red flags and you ignored them all. if i bought a car i'd check it out and do a carfax and let a mechanic look at it before i bought it. you basically called to ask if the car was available and then immediately bought it. you dont buy something without checking it out. there are a bunch of shady breeders out there. it is your responsibilty to do the research. its not the dogs or the breeds fault.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It's not even necessarily core temp that causes this kinda crap. You take a good line of pups and you keep em in people sterile condition till week 10-16 this is what you get. I'd take an ok Line of pups with a breeder that socializes and works like crazy with them over an excellent line raised in a pen any day of the week.

Last edited by Baillif; 12-05-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Baillif is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It is a good sign that the puppy is good around your sons.

There is hope.

Maybe you didn't get the puppy you wanted, but the puppy you need.

No way to tell that now of course.

You do not want to send the puppy back. I don't have much advice exept to check out how to build confidence.

Your dog does not have to become fear-reactive. If he has been around your sons for 3.5 weeks and is ok with them, then that is a good.

I think I would start the puppy in some puppy classes. Lots of treats. Lots of praise. The first day he might not take the treat. Bring a squeek toy as well and see if he will respond to that. Up the treat value -- hotdogs and cheese. Keep expectations low for the first week or so.

Good luck.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default response to boomer11

with that said, the fact that you received this pup is completely on you. the fact that you got screwed over by 3 different breeders is on you. i mean you gave your address to this lady. when the pup arrived you didnt have to sign for it. there were a bunch of red flags and you ignored them all. if i bought a car i'd check it out and do a carfax and let a mechanic look at it before i bought it. you basically called to ask if the car was available and then immediately bought it. you dont buy something without checking it out. there are a bunch of shady breeders out there. it is your responsibilty to do the research. its not the dogs or the breeds fault.[/QUOTE]

Look I am here to learn not to be criticized on what you seem to think you know. People lie every day and to be quite honest it's very difficult to know who's lying and who isn't. Anyone can get references. They can have friends and family lie for them. It's the world we live in and it's a pretty fallen world. We had no choice but to pay as we are honest people. What you do is your business but how we handle things is ours. The first breeder that we purchased a puppy from had loads of references and even has a FB group full of followers however in this last year, she's had many puppies and dogs returned only to re-sell them. She kicked out 30+ litters because she gives her so called pick females away under a breeding contract that once the bitch turns 2 she gets 2 litters out of the bitch regardless of training/genetic testing. The second breeder we purchased an older puppy from had the same issues as this one. She was returned only for another breeder to purchase her and the dog has HD. The breeder that had her hips surveyed however knew we had issues as I told her about the entire mess that breeder in turn got pissed at me for telling her the truth. The GSD breeders on a whole are very competitive and backstabbing and it's truly sad because people like us get taken advantage of and the puppies and dogs pay the ultimate price because of poor breeding. Don't judge what you do not know. As for cars, it's only because of car fax that you can now see if the car has been in an accident. People sell cars all of the time and don't disclose things. Same things with homes. We purchased our home 6 years ago only to find out there was significant mold damage and we paid for it. It was NOT disclosed. Again, people lie all of the time and get away with it. The only way to stop it is to expose it. We don't live our life on lies.
michgill751 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Were they all older pups? I like getting em at 7-8 weeks because they're way more pliable. I wouldn't get one at 10-15 weeks unless I had first person experience with the pup. In any case regardless of that I would take the pups food bowl away and use all food as "socialization currency" leave a bowl of water out though.
Baillif is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

How is the puppy outside of the home? How is he in walks?

My suggestion is to bond with puppy outside, take hikes, walks, classes. I have find hiking to be a great binding experience.

I am sorry you are dealing with this. There are lots if unscrupulous breeders out there. Sometimes people stink. But you have decided to accept And keep this puppy. So it's time to socialize, desensitize and turn this pup into a values family member.

Good luck.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

How do I reply to each person? Is there a way? Again, I am not trying to make anyone here angry. I just want to learn. To be quite honest, years ago nearly 2 decades, we did GSD rescue and those dogs didn't seem to have half as many issues as puppies purchased from breeders? These were adult dogs from shelters to owner surrenders, some with no backgrounds and they were much easier to deal with. Could teething have anything to do with it? Just asking. Has anyone ever seen a puppy become sensitive while teething? I am sure cutting teeth can be painful. His appetite is normal, stools are normal. However, he sleeps A LOT!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

gsdsar
Funny you mention outside. Our backyard is fenced so I let him out periodically to use the bathroom. However, at night, I take him out front and here and there during the day and he stays right in the yard. If he starts to wonder, I just call his name and he comes back. Leash wise, he piddled when I first put a leash on him 2 days ago. I used a pinch collar and at first he wasn't quite sure but after about 10 mins he quickly got the hang of it however if he sees the leash he goes the opposite direction. Any suggestions to make that fun?
Old 12-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

Bailif
There were 4 older pups, I only saw photos of 3. The breeder claimed to keep them that long because she housebreaks them? No leash training or socializing though? Quite honestly, I told my husband that we should not have paid but being a cop that was not an option for us. Oddly enough, I have tried to lure him into the kitchen where his bowls are when I feed him but he won't come near me. I have been putting his food in the bowl and leaving the kitchen and that's when he eats. His behaviors are a bit odd.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgill751 View Post
How do I reply to each person? !
Hit the quote button in the lower right corner of this frame.

There is a really great yahoo group called shydogs. Join that group and you will get a lot of useful advice. You will get a much mixed bag on here (in terms of advice) and plenty of people who have no experience telling you what you should and shouldn't do.

What were the parents like? How was this pup raised (kenneled? early socialization, etc.?)

Not all shy dogs become fear aggressive but they do take more management. I have rehabbed two shy dogs and it required learning a completely different way of training. Neither was shy or fearful with me or people that they knew well. I also fostered a dog that was fearful in his prior home (because of abuse) but turned into a really well-balanced dog once he was out of that situation for a while.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.