Sleep habits way off kilter... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Sleep habits way off kilter...

Roxy will be 11 months the end of this month. She's been sleeping in her kennel at night ever since she came home. For the last 3 months at least she's been sleeping all night. I sleep on the couch (due to back problems) next to her kennel ...this little arrangement has worked out well for both of us.

2 nights ago ..she was howling ...barking ..whining ...that escalated to digging at the bottom of her kennel...rattling the bars with her teeth. I took her out 2 times thinking it was a bathroom thing...nope all she wanted to do outside was play.
I also thought maybe it was because the one time due to all the schedules in the house she did NOT get her scheduled run time ..and maybe that messed her up. Well that theory was blown out the window last night..because even after 2 run times to make up for the missed one we had a repeat performance.
I'm at a loss here as to what can be going on. I am not comfortable leaving her out of the kennel to sleep and I am thinking that's what she's getting at. The only other option I can think of is let her sleep out in the confined kitchen area...that's where she is most of the day when she's not out with somebody playing.

any suggestions? is this another age thing? I have read in one of the books I have they take on these strange behaviors when they are getting ready to hit that one year old mark. I NEED SLEEP. I went to the office on exactly 1/2 hour of sleep yesterday. The pattern started at 11:30 and didn't stop until 7:00..when I got up for work.

lyssa62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Is she in heat?
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

LOL she better not be or me and a vet are gonna have a chat

this is just so not like her. I know she's messed up a little bit..our office was open for a couple weeks this year for advance loans and so I worked a bit...but I wouldn't think that would have messed her up this much..and I've been doing that for almost 3 weeks now and this just happened the last 2 nights.

I know she is wanting to be out. But I hate to give into that. She's only in the kennel at night and during the day if there will be nobody here and then that's for maybe an hour TOPS and rarely happens.

Last edited by lyssa62; 12-05-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Can you trust her out of the kennel at night or will she destroy the house?

*-*Summer*-*
SummerGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Stepping away any health issues (which could be a root cause of behavioral changes) I'd start looking at environmental changes. What is different for her?

Do you live in a rural area? Do you live in an area where you can hear your neighbors as they come and go? Are you using your heater/fire place (etc) for the first time this year? Are YOU sleeping well? Have you been ill (coughing, sneezing through the night)?

Try to think of anything in her world that has changed recently.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I don't think it's health related. I will keep an eye on that and if it continues will def speak with the vet....but she's eating/ playing ..everything normally.
We live outside of town...lots of yard in between us and the neighbors..and they are all quiet.
Heater has been running for a couple of weeks now. I've been sleeping well up until 2 nights ago (ARGH)...
I can't for the life of me think of anything that has changed.

we had puppy class tonight. I'm going to see if she's tired enough to sleep tonight. Maybe I will just need to schedule an activity closer to bedtime to wear her out if this works.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

maybe an animal in the yard???
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

My girlfriends dogs did something very similar last year. Went from night-time angels to howling barking jerks in the blink of an eye. Turns out it was two things:

A bear
An owl

Owl hooted, softly enough to not be picked up by human ears and the bear...well if I can smell it I know dang sure a dog can. I fixed the owl situation(waited till the nest was empty and blasted it out of the tree with a shotgun) and fixed the bear situation(built a bear resistant trash shed). Bear did climb into my truck and stole a pizza this year, but otherwise has moved onto better scavenging grounds.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

we do have all kinds of wildlife out here. It could be anything...BUT here's how this worked yesterday.....

dog class from 7 - 9 ( I stayed after to work with the trainer some one on one)....got home Roxy took her last outing.....slept until 7am. What I think is that I am going to need to redo our schedule to include a later night run or something..something right before bed.

I LOVED getting sleep last night and I'm sure she did too. She's still worn out and napping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.