German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Teething Tips? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/376417-teething-tips.html)

Kat Tastic 12-05-2013 07:03 AM

Teething Tips?

Bentley seems to be doing great, but I think he is getting ready to cut his first adult tooth.

Going to try the frozen wash rag tomorrow.
Are there any vegetables he has chomp on? He doesn't really use any of him many chew toys...:confused:

Momto2GSDs 12-05-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kat Tastic (Post 4615329)
Bentley seems to be doing great, but I think he is getting ready to cut his first adult tooth.

Going to try the frozen wash rag tomorrow.
Are there any vegetables he has chomp on? He doesn't really use any of him many chew toys...:confused:

I would watch the frozen wash rag closely! Some dogs will swallow them!:shocked:

Try some deer antler's and check with your local butcher to see if he will save large knuckle or shank bones for you. Put an old sheet in his crate (because of the grease) and give the RAW (never cooked) bone for short periods of time to make sure he doesn't get diarrhea from them. Put them in the freezer in-between times to keep them fresh! You can also try freezing some very large whole carrots.
Moms:)

Shade 12-05-2013 09:27 AM

Frozen raw carrots :) I also found beef tendon was good as it was hard but still chewable, I froze it as well before giving.

Baillif 12-05-2013 09:55 AM

I used to grind up a mix of kibble and some peanut butter or canned pumpkin and put it into kong toys and then freeze them.

Kat Tastic 12-06-2013 05:45 PM

Which kong is better, one that he can chew from the outside or one he can lick inside? He doesn't chew the small black one we have now.

What about frozen apple slices?

qbchottu 12-06-2013 05:59 PM

Stuffed kong, bully sticks, antlers, raw beef knuckles.

Baillif 12-06-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kat Tastic (Post 4626561)
Which kong is better, one that he can chew from the outside or one he can lick inside? He doesn't chew the small black one we have now.

What about frozen apple slices?

The black ones are the toughest and therefore the most incompressible. You want to start with a different color at first something he can have more of an effect on. It will encourage him if he can press down on it and if the food slides out as he does it, that just encourages him more.

qbchottu 12-06-2013 06:22 PM

I only use the black kong for aggressive adult chewers
For pups and normal adult chewers, I use size appropriate red kongs.
For baby pups, there is a light pink and light blue version.

Kat Tastic 12-07-2013 05:48 AM

I've seen the puppy kongs, they just seem small compared to his mouth. We will go take a look at the pet store tomotrow.

So far he has really enjoyed frozen apple slices. His vet appointment today said he was cutting a lot of his adult teeth. Typically, how do you know when they are having teething discomfort?

doggiedad 12-07-2013 06:57 AM

all of this. aftering washing my hands really good i would put
them in a bowl of ice water. then i would massage his gums.
back in the ice water then massage. sometimes i would put
ice cubes in a freezer bag ten take a hammer and smash it
and give him some.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qbchottu (Post 4626681)
Stuffed kong, bully sticks, antlers, raw beef knuckles.