German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Pup doesn't bark at all... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/376369-pup-doesnt-bark-all.html)

eliyah 12-05-2013 05:12 AM

Pup doesn't bark at all...

Hi folks,

My 6 month old purebred GSD, Jack has been with me for like 3 months but has only barked for 2 or 3 times (when he saw a cow or a goat). I've owned two GSDs before this one, they were pretty vocal.

I know dogs that don't bark are good, but Jack wouldn't bark or show any agitation even when he needs to go potty, and every time I've to guess whether it is the 'time' or not. So we are having 'accidents' almost every day when I fail to make my guess on time since I can't keep an eye on him 24/7.

How can I make him bark when he has to go (or when he sees a 'danger'). I've tried crate, tethered him... but nothing worked. He's in perfect health and has no other issues whatsoever.

Look forward to your insightful responses.

Many thanks,
Ali.

Kat Tastic 12-05-2013 10:31 AM

He doesn't do the "nose-down-potty-runaround"?

If you crate him at night, does he whine or just soil the crate?

Msmaria 12-05-2013 11:34 AM

Dex didnt start barking till between 8 and 9 months. He always nosed us and whined when he had to go potty. If that didnt work hed take my hand in his mouth and gently pull me to the back door. I thought hed never bark. Now he does at every bump in the night :eek:

MaggieRoseLee 12-05-2013 11:43 AM

My GSD's don't bark until older either. It's a blessing actually so I wouldn't push that :) .

My dogs also don't signal when they have to go out, specially not with barking. If you are still having accidents I'm thinking it's not cause of a signal but your pup isn't really house broken.

By 6 months my GSD's can all easily last 8 hours or more with no accidents.

So, unless there is a medical issue with a urinary tract or kidney infection (go to vet if not sure) I'd just go back a few steps and start up with the 'how to housebreak my puppy' type stuff.

Go out WITH your pup every hour or so. Nice puppy party when they 'go'. And use closed doors/baby gates in the house to make sure the pup is ALWAYS in the same room as you so you will see the signs of them having to 'go' even if it's just them squatting! You can get your 'uh uh' in to correct for the squat then tear outside with them to finish and have the 'puppy party'.

Timing is KEY to housebreak. Timing for them in the house to mark the 'bad'. Timing for in the yard to mark the 'good'.

Good luck!

SummerGSDLover 12-05-2013 02:37 PM

Can you train him to use a bell when he's gotta go?

*-*Summer*-*

bill 12-05-2013 04:48 PM

New he only rings the bell when he wants back in.lol sorry summer just kidding. Have a great day! Seriously I would just watch after feeding learn to read the dog. If I am reading and my dog starts pacing and gets in my face time to go. You can say do you have to use the bathroom and he will bark! Good luck Bill

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

bill 12-05-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerGSDLover (Post 4617585)
Can you train him to use a bell when he's gotta go?

*-*Summer*-*

Yes you could summer. Bill

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Neko 12-05-2013 04:58 PM

this is why i like large breed dogs, they don't bark unless they have a good reason.

David Taggart 12-05-2013 05:21 PM

It is said you shouldn't punish your dog up to one year old, especially males, but you shoud put his nose into his little pond and take him outside immediately. Why have you decided he must bark? Not necessarily. Though, he must be agitated. His feeding times must be precise, so, you could predict any urges.

crystalA 12-05-2013 05:26 PM

My puppy ozzy has started kennel raring for helping with potty trying. This is only when we are not home or for bedtime . He screams and whines like a child at first but he has done a lot better. I started with giving him a treat for not fighting with me to go in the kennel and a treat for potting out side or a you toy to show him good boy. But he barks all the time